Railway Development Log

Neat!!!

2 Likes

@NWSpacek Did you watch Thomas and Friends before? If so who’s your favorite character? :3

2 Likes

all i know is that the train has wheels that spin
your also a bit of a nerd when it comes to trains

2 Likes

It wouldn’t be that bad of an idea to introduce a feature that would require maintenance should DoT be online, excluding the operator.

Train fires though… LOL

4 Likes

As far as train-related maintenance items, the crossings were going to have a system similar to the stoplights where one would fail randomly. They don’t currently have one, but they can.

As far as anything the train system actually uses to operate, such as trackside signals, in-cab signals, detector loops, etc., failures of those would be way too much. I would have to make the automatic trains react to them in a realistic manner, and operating a train on a track with ABS, Pre-Empt, and traffic signal tie-ins is already extremely complicated.

3 Likes

Challenge accepted :smirk:

2 Likes

press F1

2 Likes

It’s been a few days since I’ve made progress, trying to implement an update scheme that ended up being more difficult. But I’ve managed to sort that out and I’ve also got switches working now!

The only things left to do are

• replication (as always)
  • coupling (optional)
  • train control
8 Likes

Maybe go for the old City of New Orleans type of look? Just a thought, since I assume you’re a railway enthusiast.

2 Likes

Can we do a old western robbery :eyes:

2 Likes

It’s a light rail system. It’s going to use DMUs similar to those seen in Texas and New Jersey.

2 Likes

Using some interpolation makes a smooth experience for other players.

From a programming standpoint, the only thing left is the controller that the player will interact with. Coupling is a bonus feature and it’s not that important given the assumed ridership of the system and considering there’s standing room.

3 Likes

Will there be train gates

where the track crosses the road?

2 Likes

If you haven’t saw in the V3 map, there are already working railroad crossings with the gates.

2 Likes

ah, alright, haven’t been in v2 or v3 in a while, thanks!

2 Likes

@NWSpacek do you know how to script a non-manual train? Have no one driving it just goes to stations automatically. Also have you tested if a car hits the train will it just it fling into the sky or just tip over?

2 Likes

Everyone has been wondering what the train will look like. Wonder no more; here is the look of Firestone’s newest transit system, the Firestone Railway Express! - NWSpacek

8 Likes

@NWSpacek how mad are you that @Chill_Bunniez posted the picture before you?

3 Likes

all his faves belong to me

7 Likes

23 Likes