Opinion on DPS

First one, FPS server? Huh? Also there is no rule on who the owner of the server can ban. They have full control and if you don’t want people in there, it’s their choice.

3 Likes

I think the biggest problem I see is most people take DPS as a joke. I mean everyone has said at one point “I’ll DPS you” and I have personally been DPSed because people just didn’t like me and people just make it a big joke. One thing I find interesting is DPS only prevents investigators from investigating cases involving their current dept., most investigators have been in multiple departments and its like just because I leave FD for DOT doesn’t mean I wouldn’t have a bias for FD, so in that regard I think its a joke. Most people employed by DPS have lots of friends in other leo depts and just act like any other leo or you know every other 13 year old outside of DPS, or what I see a lot is LEOs who are in DPS get treated differently because they are the “god” … again another joke. anyways thats just my opinion, quite a few of us do believe the intention and execution is good, but quite a few also like I said think its funny. I don’t think DPS will be able to do anything about that aspect.

5 Likes

:billed_cap: … …

4 Likes

I agree, it just aggravates me to see them act in their own fictional capacities as “Judges” when they’re just departmental investigators looking for violations of any relevant policies thereof.

8 Likes

DPW Hicom, from what I have seen, has been unbanned. I have already apologized for this (reply#29)

3 Likes

We have this rule where if you share a department with someone, or have been, in the last 3 months, in a department they are currently in, they can not investigate to prevent bias. I appreciate your feedback and I can understand your concern. Some people are quite afraid of DPS because they think they will be punished severely for the most minor or offences which is simply not true. This is also why some DPS employees get treated better in their respective departments, however, we do not promote such different treatment and strongly advise that, despite their employment in the DPS, are treated equally to everyone else. Them being DPS matters little to none if they are in FSP, SCSO, SCFD, etc.

3 Likes

Again, in my reply to the post that you have replied to, I have addressed that issue and I hope you can see and understand that I am trying. Consider reading it! Thank you for the feedback.

3 Likes

There’s a few improvements I think could be made to DPS. One thing I think can be improved is like said above, there should be a bit more transparency. Typically we have no idea of what’s going on in DPS HICOM and such. We just get notices for investigations, and the conclusions of them with no idea of the processes going on behind the scenes. I also noticed in the past when DPS was doing better, most cases they would talk to the department head about the findings, and try to take in our input when it comes to figuring out what to do with a person at the conclusion of the investigation. I feel that this heavily could help DPS’s reputation if they work with departments on how to handle incidents involving employees as opposed to acting as a force over them saying you are going to issue XX punishment and change this this and this.
In the past, I’ve been able to rely on DPS to assist me with investigations I felt were difficult or too complex for my department to handle on their own. But recently, we haven’t been able to do that, as what happens is DPS takes the case, and then it’s all their’s. And the department head has little say in what happens next.

So in short, I think DPS should change and reimagine itself as an agency to assist and work with departments, as opposed to an agency meant to oppose over several departments and issue punishments where they see fit.

6 Likes

Thank you for your thorough input, concerns, and suggestions, Fire Chief.

Concerning the

It is mainly the investigator conducting his interviews with everyone involved in DMs. No shady business here if that relieves you. Other than that the investigator usually, unless they need advice, keeps to themselves and publishes and writes everything on their own (transcripts, report). In this regard, we trust our employees to do the job well.

As for DPS talking to department heads about what should happen to the employee rather than doing it alone, while it would be a drastic change to current operations as well as way more time and resource-intensive, it is also the fact that some department heads simply do not care about the findings and dump it down to command. I can say this because it is not too uncommon that, when I message a department head about a case finding, I get the reply “I am busy” or something along those lines. With this being said, I will still consider this proposition and see if it is somehow implementable and see if compromises can be made.

Again, thank you for the input.

3 Likes

I’m not sure how DMing the department head would waste alot of resources and take up time, but okay.

3 Likes

I personally feel that DPS as a whole acts immature, and for being the department that gets peoples certifications revoked etc. for breaking rules and doing just that (being immature), it’s quite ironic. How is a department that is supposed to enforce rules, not going to follow any rules themselves?

Obviously no one needs to have a stick up their ass 24/7, but it gets to a point where DPS can spam ping the entire FS community…yet we all immediately ban anyone who would do that in other servers alone. Its a lot of double standards that I feel shouldn’t exist.

Thats just my opinion, please don’t shoot me for it.

11 Likes

ONE TIME I RESIGNED TO AVOID A DPS INVESTIGATION AND IT WORKED

ANOTHER TIME I GOT A FALSE ONE ON ME CAUSE A GAME GLITCH AND THEY DENIED IT :fist:

5 Likes

DPS-

oh boy.

So yes, DPS Is a good idea, but sadly, majority of the things in DPS are run on favoritism- and hence why the talk of corruption comes up.

There are several cases I have seen that (as Pent said), get passed on to a departments command, yet that department fails to enact anything due to favoritism of an individual. Additionally, within DPS I have seen favoritism, and I have seen people misuse their power, just to protect others. They use their positions to just dismiss a case- even though it may be a valid, legal case, but instead- they just use their power to protect others.

I know DPS dosent want to seem like the big bad meanies, but they need to if DPS is going to be successful. People in DPS can’t use their power to dismiss things because they like someone. I know this is almost impossible, but you need people who are equal. They don’t choose things due to personal feeling. As much as you might want to say “oh that dosent happen”, it does, and it has in several cases.

I guess for something “positive”,

Something that might help is to have more follow through on things such as passing off stuff to commands. Instead of essentially saying “deal with this”, it should be more like “we would like you to conduct an investigation on x employee for x y a, and we would like to see a report on it in 72 hours or so. Something reasonable, but enough to have follow through. Without follow through things will just fall short, and actions that need to happen- won’t.

just some food for thought

6 Likes

I don’t know if this has been said but some individuals dislike the Department of Public Safety because they believe that it shouldn’t have any control over its subordinate departments through activity, etc, directives.

Personally, I don’t see an issue with it as it sets a basic standard across the board.

Having previously been an Investigator within the department myself though, I have to say that the discipline issued to some individuals for wrongdoing is not consistent. I think that is one of the big issues some people have with the department. They see that one person has been issued with a termination for shooting a civilian in crossfire, but another is simply given a warning - quite inconsistent.

Maybe there needs to be a directive that outlines the level of discipline permitted for which specific wrongdoing?

6 Likes

DPS are overreaching authority again and again and the amount of cases with wrong conclusion or “verdicts” are rising. DPS needs to quality ensure their investigators, a majority of them are incompetent and their incompetence ends up costing someone’s career.

6 Likes

I dont see a problem with dps, its with the community. People get pissed if they get investigated and have consequences for doing bad things so take it out on dps for doing their job well.

5 Likes

DPS doesn’t think of the person, they only think of the job role of the person. So they never take into consideration innocent mistakes or non intentional things. They just shut everyone down without taking into consideration how it will make people feel. Its a game not real life, let off some slack.

5 Likes

Investigations going painfully slow, some HICOMM being awfully rude (not you pent) not sure if this changed yet but before when it was publicly admitted half of investigators weren’t even TRAINED, and then being petty. Terminating people for shit that really should only warrant a strike or suspension. Or command taking a report, trashing it when it says shit like suspension and retraining, and then terminating the person.

6 Likes

Thank you for your opinion, and I think I can relief you by saying that I have made new policies for all of DPS yesterday which set the standard and how people should act while representing the department (i.e. during investigations). As for the spam tagging, it is going to stop, mainly because the joke died a long time ago. Again, thank you.

5 Likes

Thank you for the constructive criticism. If you wish to DM me about those specific cases you referred to multiple times, please do! That way I can look into it. Obviously we try to tackle bias and favoritism as much as possible, and I personally believe our current command is quite good in that. Sometimes cases get denied because they fall less under DPS jurisidiction and moreso belong in a court of law (False arrest is a big one, but also some parts of the employment rights). The suggestions you made are certainly something I will consider implementing, like a system on what to pass onto command and how to do it. Thank you.

3 Likes