Open Discussion on Open Carry

Recently, I proposed an amendment of the Uniformed Control of Firearms Act. Should the amendment pass both chambers of Congress, Civilian Firearm License holders can openly carry their weapons.

You can view the bill here: Open Carry Act of 2019

• Yes! I support Open Carry!
  • No! Keep it how it is.

0 voters

2 Likes

I’m conflicted… but legal gun holders are the ones who follow the laws… but many people can take a screenshot of you holding your gun out at a threat, yet the picture might not show the threat.

Maybe if you have a legal gun, that you’re trained/cert on, it’s legal to open carry. But if it’s an illegal gun, then open carry is illegal.

3 Likes

If its an illegal gun, you are already able to be charged with possession of an illegal firearm.

1 Like

But another charge won’t hurt :wink:

2 Likes

I’m sure people that get illegal guns are gonna rack up several charges with them.

3 Likes

self defense should always be reactive, especially in urban environments. when you carry a firearm you’re only supposed to be defending yourself/others, not needlessly putting people on edge.

open carry simply complicates and potentially escalates situations, as now people have to evaluate who’s threats or not when they’re walking down the sidewalk with a shotgun in hand.

2 Likes

How will citizens with a license be able to walk around with a weapon out without being constantly harassed by LEOs to give them your ID to check that’s it’s legal? Seems like a good idea but here in V2 you will be stopped every 5 minutes for your open carry. Is there a way around this?

2 Likes

don’t have open carry @Silentkiller272

2 Likes

yeah but people that want to…

2 Likes

@Silentkiller272 they’re not entitled to brandish their firearm

2 Likes

I know but if a person wants to open carry, they are going to be harassed by LEOs

4 Likes

Unfortunately, all my amendment does is makes it so you have the right to openly carry. As Nooblet just said, you still are to follow other existent laws such that you can’t brandish with your firearm. Law Enforcement Officers will likely have to make the distinction that someone just walking around with a gun is likely legal, but someone walking around and aiming it to shoot people might indicate that its illegal. Other than that, no, theres no way of knowing.

1 Like

complicating law enforcement officers jobs and potentially jeopardizing them is surely something you don’t want

3 Likes

Ensuring citizens ease of self defense is certainly something I want to do.

2 Likes

they have the right to concealed carry. what do you think open carry will allow them to do other than stand around with firearms putting people on edge and making them get stared by cops.

2 Likes

I think that citizens should be able to express their constitutional rights.

2 Likes

no where does the constitution say they have the constitutional right to openly carry. The BoR says " the government is not prohibited from regulating gun purchases or gun use in order to reduce crime rates," meaning it is 100% constitutionally a-ok to ban open carry.

2 Likes

The constitution grants citizens the right to keep and bear arms. It also grants the right of expression. I believe, as well as my peers, that you should be able to express your constitutional rights, in this case, your right to bear arms.

2 Likes

It grants the right to expression of an opinion not a constitutional right. I have the right to say that you’ve barely read the bill of rights, not the expression of my 7th amendment by doing nothing productive with a rifle and pistol shown whilst walking down a sidewalk.

3 Likes

I guess I can form an opinion that you barely read the bill of rights, seeing the 7th amendment talks nothing about firearms.

2 Likes