Firestone Hatch Act

Hello all, I’ve recently thought of an interesting idea that legislatures should consider, but I want opinions from everyone. In the United States, there is an act known as the Hatch Act. As described by defense.gov, the hatch act does the following: “As a matter of long-standing policy, military service members and federal employees acting in their official capacity may not engage in activities that associate the DOD with any partisan political campaign or elections, candidate, cause or issue. The limitations of participation can be found in DOD Directive 1344.10, Political Activities by Members of the Armed Forces, and the Hatch Act.”

I thought “what a great idea” and thought what if Firestone also passed a similar act, but not allowing any government employee to wear uniform whilst endorsing or supporting a political campaign at any game event that involves Firestone. This would help prevent government agencies from endorsing a particular candidate.

Thoughts?

• Support
  • Neutral Feelings
  • No support

0 voters

4 Likes

I believe that you should be able to vote while in uniform, but you can’t like actively show support to a certain candidate while in uniform. However, once you’re a private citizen not on team or in uniform you should be able to show your support for an individual.

The only problem that remains is, would this extend to Discord where someone has their callsign in their name or have an employment role (Has the role of something like “Stapleton County Sheriffs Office” “Firestone National Guard” etc) where they are still actively representing their department.

12 Likes

I agree that they should be able to vote in uniform, however, attending political rallies/campaigns and showing support towards the candidate should not be allowed since they are technically representing their department.

4 Likes

Oh and adding on to your discord question, I think it’d be fine if they were in the discord as they have a right to express opinions, however not while representing their department.

4 Likes

I’ll look into this!

5 Likes

Thank you Senator!

3 Likes

Though I’m neutral, I believe they should be able to attend political rallies and campaigns as long as they have consent from their supervisor or someone

3 Likes

Departments already have policies against endorsing candidates or doing election work in uniform aside from voting

8 Likes

Alright, I think having a state act though would help however as policies can changed much more easily than an act passed by congress.

3 Likes

I feel like doing this for a video game is dumb, and that policy does a good job at regulating in uniform political actions, and attempting to make a law on this would probably result in some people getting screwed over by loopholes, like depending on the way its written congress could accidentally make it against the legislation for dhs to provide security at political events which i see happening considering we have low standards for how legislation is written and who gets to write it

10 Likes

yeah I haven’t really seen anyone in a uniform doing anything election related other than simply voting. Don’t think there’s a current issue with this in Firestone.

7 Likes

You mention good points, and loopholes is always something we’re going to deal with in legislation sadly. If I am elected Senator my primary goal would be to get this act passed, and I’d ensure there’s no loopholes such as those you discussed. This act would only apply to members supporting, not executing their duties as a LEO.

4 Likes

In all honesty I’ve been here a long time. I really haven’t seen this as an issue. Thus, I’d suggest we leave it as things are currently.

9 Likes

i am sorry but i see no use for this. in my 5 years in fs i have never seen an issue with it

4 Likes

I just want to prevent things such as this [I’m not trying to target any campaign or individual in the photo, this is just an example]

This act would not include members of a protective detail by the way.

3 Likes

how is that not allowed like

3 Likes

how should that not be allowed*

3 Likes

they are on duty in uniform representing their department while participating in a campaign event

4 Likes

5char

3 Likes

how is a few people pictured in it… meaning the entire government agency endorses that candidate?

i see 3 fng pictured not sure how thats an entire agency.

also i see 1 dhs agent and 2 scfd members… literally they are just in pictures i don’t see the issue.

also for them to participate they have to be there throughout the entire thing and also working for the campaign during the entire event.

4 Likes