Allow Senators, House of Representatives, and municipal and county legislatures to have other public sector jobs

Allow Senators, House of Representatives, Municipal City Councils, and County Councils to be allowed to work in their position and in one full time public sector job (i.e DHS) or one part time sector job.

• Yes
  • No

0 voters

This suggestion suggests that all people employed in legislature positions in either the state, county, or municipal levels above be allowed to be in one full time job, or one part time job.

For example, lets say that you are a senator. You can either serve as a senator and FSP, for example. Or as a senator and DOT. You would not be allowed to serve as FSP, DOT, and a senator however.

Biggest Obstacle: FedoraMasterB98

Even if everyone in firestone wanted this to become a thing, FedoraMasterB98 would have to allow it, as even if legislation was created and passed to allow legislatures from the state, county, and municipal level to have two jobs, Fedora would be mad and angry, and would not allow it.

I think that if the majority of the public does support this topic, I think that fed should at least be open minded, and consider allowing legislatures to have two jobs.

Why?

Why give legislatures two jobs?

Firstly, many more competent people would run for spots such as senate, house of representatives, and more because they would not fear the losing of their job because they have a new job at a political sector, they would be allowed to keep both jobs instead.

Additionally, more people would work in low demand fields such as municipal and county councils, where less people historically run and those that do run are less competent. With people being allowed in more then one job, more people may run for these positions.

Lastly, early resignation in legislation positions in firestone will drop significantly as people will not be bored as being a lawmaker, as they will be able, in their free time to not just sit around the game as a citizen, but be a officer and actually do something fun. Less people would resign due to being “bored”

TL;DR

GIVE PEOPLE IN LEGISLATION POSITIONS ACCESS TO MORE THEN ONE PUBLIC SECTOR JOB

@FedoraMasterB98

3 Likes

This idea has proven to lead to problems, as we’ve seen in the past.

8 Likes

You really will start having department lobbyists who do it for ranks sake and not for the overall people.

2 Likes

You mean people that go into departments for power?

2 Likes

They work for a department then only make policies to help that said department even if it doesn’t help the majority of citizens. In return they have a higher rank in said department since they helped the department head. Also there is a conflict of interest combing of both the legislative and executive branch. This will cause the executive branch to have more power since they would have department officials as legislators. When would this stop? Would we start appointing SC Justices and allow them to also be legislators?

5 Likes

Also municipal and county government is already secondary I believe. Right @anon89270917

2 Likes

Didn’t mean judges, by the way.

Only law enforcement, utility, etc non judicial or executive jobs

This thread doesn’t support the removal of independent judiciary.

2 Likes

If you need me to clarify,

Legislatures may work in one other, non political public sector job is my idea

2 Likes

Nah man

2 Likes

Municipal and County Gov? Sure. No need to make them primary as they are of lesser importance.

State? No. You need your undivided attention on legislating. State Legislature is an important job and you need to be focused on it. You also need to vote with your conscience and with common sense, factoring in how it affects everyone. Having them be in another job may allow for congresspeople to only vote factoring in themselves, which is what some do to an extent, but it would be so much more common.

6 Likes

Congressmen need to experience what needs to be improved in Firestone firsthand by holding another job, in order to make amazing and beneficial bills.

2 Likes

Most Municipal and County positions are Secondary already.

The only notable exception being County Executive.

State positions should stay the same way. I would hate to see County Executive become secondary in any circumstance.

3 Likes

County executive is not secondary in this idea

2 Likes

So far public does not support this idea, evidently it will probably not be implemented.

2 Likes

They can already join secondary jobs like DOT, DOC, etc.

While in Senate I enjoyed DOC.

2 Likes

Yeah but secondary jobs aren’t so fun

2 Likes

If this happens, conflict of interest happens. Like what if a department opposed legislation being passed to stop something. They could say ‘you don’t keep your job here if you vote aye’. Now the legality of that is it’s self questionable but the point remains.

This, in my opinion, would open up a pandora’s box of fun that is the total opposite of fun.

Judges are in this same boat. It’s why I request the judiciary to only have one job here (that being the courts).

There is a phrase that is known very well by lawyers. That phrase is: “conflict of interest”. It is not a good thing to have and would be something that would only be promoted if this passed.

Therefore I think that the courts and congress should remain primary positions.

4 Likes

So apparently some cabinet members can actually be in the senate or house if they direct a secondary/volunteer department. :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

:wink:

2 Likes

It actually has conflicting sections because just before that it says this

Regardless it definitely needs to be amended. Assuming you are the one working on that right now.

2 Likes