Seriously? Roleplay

Can we please talk about roleplay in Firestone?

SO, today around an hour or two ago, I was on Marine Division for DOC. I was called out as there was a 911 that came in saying people were being taken hostage on a boat. Upon leaving DOC waters, I was able to gain eyes and confirm the call. Doing the correct thing, I picked up FBI, DHS, and a SWAT Operative to handle negotiations. We pulled up behind the yacht, and see one individual visibly armed with two seemingly unarmed hostages.

Not a single word exchanged.
insert mp5 gunfire
“x1 down, c4”

Seriously?

I understand you’re legally justified to shoot the taker… But can we actually try to even ATTEMPT to roleplay? Crims quite literally have it unfair as it is. Just this 8 second period probably took the taker around an hour to set up.

Kidnapping individuals, avoiding law enforcement with a hostage, finding paws, setting up getaways?

All of this just to get shot in 8 seconds? What person would find this fun? Why would anyone who does even decent RP want to continue playing as a crim?

They wouldn’t.

If you don’t feel like partaking in roleplay, simply don’t show up to scenes where you have to communicate with others. Get your 1 hour quota arresting VAers, then go play a different game as you ruin it for others.

I’m obviously not going to say who was responsible for it, but really? C’mon.

TLDR: eh you have time to read it :wink:

Lmk your thoughts

21 Likes

well in the defence of the tactical units, they go guns hot on pirates that are threatening people irl so i dont see how that wouldnt be roleplaying

5 Likes

Wayyyyyyy back in the beginning of Firestone, DHS actually had its own academy for a short short short time (roughly 1 class) and I was in it on my old account.

We learned negotiation and actually had Crisis Negotiators but that quickly fell out of favor due to the fact that Firestone just doesn’t roleplay. 90% of the game is made up of people who wish to just shoot their guns and not actually be an extensive RP criminal, hence why negotiators and negotiations themselves have since been extinct.

7 Likes

Yes. Yes. Yes. This is an actual problem that is driving crims away from Firestone and into other groups. A long time ago crims used to catch heat for not attempting to RP. Now it’s time for LEOs to catch heat for it.

In this situation it’s a little tricky because in my (very unexperienced, non LEO) opinion, if you have a clear shot in a hostage situation you should take it. HOWEVER, eight seconds and not saying a single word? You’re really going to try and tell me that you could assess an entire scene confidently enough to take a shot on a scene involving civies that quick? No. Whatever argument you make, even the ones that could be logical irl, instantly crumble when someone decided to use lethal force in under a minute from arriving on scene.

Being a criminal is hard. To even attempt to pull off a good RP, we have to sit and wait for a dealer to come around for knives and cards, and if you want a gun you midaswell be chasing a ghost around the map for an hour straight. And if you do find that ghost, you have to pay a decent amount of money for an item that may or may not get taken if you hop a curb and get searched because you’re under arrest for reckless driving.

Criminals have been trying to do events and RPs that are complex, but we can’t just do it and instantly pull it off. We need LEOs to at least TRY and negotiate with us, or give us some sort of RP other than “Hi, just kidding you’re dead.” With the exception of people trying to get money to fund themselves (aka bank robberies, atms, stores), crims want LEOs to get involved. You won’t see us doing a boat hostage sit in an empty server for no one. It’s stupid, pointless, and flat out not fun. Believe it or not crims actually talk to each other and coordinate things for RPs, and we like to get third parties involved.

I speak for a majority of the criminal population when I say this;
Criminals are trying to do things.
You just need to try as well, LEOs.

thank you for coming to my ted talk
feel free to debate w/me, i’m always open to seeing other sides of the story.

15 Likes

coming from someone who is literally in the middle of a multi-day rp that has been planned for over a month as I type this, i think its safe to say that the shooty shooty pew pew people are starting to go down in numbers. i wont sit here and say no one does it, thats a flat out lie. but i know from my experience and others, crims are getting better about doing things well.

you said that you were from a while ago, and while i’m not going to disregard your experiences, i think you should consider looking back into it now that some time has passed. things have changed.

11 Likes

I wasn’t really directing it at the State’s criminals, mainly the people who FRP the shit out of everything who are visitors. It’s hard as a LEO to RP when we are being rammed and getting nae nae’d by a fucking flying car. I’m sorry for the harsh language, but its true. I know some criminals are trying hard to make some good RP and I thank them for that.

6 Likes

https://forums.stateoffirestone.com/t/roleplay-vs-gameplay/18285/36

thats your answer

4 Likes

tactical units are notoriously SHIT at roleplay in firestone. get used to it.

10 Likes

:expressionless:
we really arent. but we’re gonna make the best of the environment and surroundings. a boat isn’t exactly fucking ideal eh?

5 Likes

also, negotiations are really a stall to come up with a plan.
99% of the time they wont get the hostage out alive AND the taker in custody.
stall until the opportunity presents itself. on a boat… well. You get where im going.

6 Likes

no wonder

should’ve paged the coast guard which has a maritime security response team specifically trained for water situations.

4 Likes

I understand where you’re coming from. However, if somebody takes the time to set up a yacht hostage sit, it’s safe to assume they’re interested in roleplaying. If they weren’t, they’d just go shoot up CD or kill cops, right?

And I completely disagree with what you’re saying, “negotiations are really a stall to come up with a plan.” In my eyes, negotiating is meant to bring a peaceful resolution to the situation, or at least try to. If negotiations fail, then at that point you should resort to lethal force of the taker.

6 Likes

Somebody was off duty CG and switched teams after I was called out. About 10 seconds after the taker was downed, CG arrived and boarded the vessel to secure the other hostages. It’s not a matter of paging for Coast Guard

6 Likes

so instead of just attempting to playing the game by negotiating & going along with the roleplay attempt as a tactical unit, you choose to just shoot the person and move on, to then start complaining about how there’s “no roleplay in v2 anymore” and that all you see are rammers slamming into things…

ok…

a hostage situation in general isn’t ideal, doesn’t mean gun everyone down w/ out some sort of attempt to negotiate or even do anything that doesn’t just make the scenario shit

i find it VERY ironic that you’re saying tactical units aren’t “shit” at roleplaying in firestone, yet you’re a tactical unit here saying that “its to just stall the opportunity itself” so you’d rather shoot.

7 Likes

The main thing is that these tactical units don’t teach negotiations. I’ve seen plenty of groups that have crisis negotiators who are trained to handle negotiations and I think it would be sick in firestone (even CRT has the uniforms already made). But this is firestone and that would be wayyyyyyyy too easy. I’m willing to go through the necessary courses to become a negotiator because I want good roleplay when no one else does it.

5 Likes

well how would you know that, do you know how they teach?

well put two and two together, there are already negotiatiors in tactical teams.

5 Likes

i mean… yeah. was in my training. so.
if the opportunity appears for me to get everyone out safe im gonna do it.

5 Likes

This is going to piss of criminals but

imo, there are way too many hostage sits that it’s COMPLETELY USELESS. It’s over done that they don’t have any motivation to continue. I played v2 last week to flex my SRT with stripes and I saw LEOs running left and right because there are multiple hostage sits.

8 Likes

have to agree with philip - no one takes a hostage just for the sake of having hostages. If we can all come up with actual good roleplay ideas we can all have more fun.

i.e make something up like you’re a crazy person and this restaurant fired you, you are holding the staff and patrons hostage. It’s a somewhat realistic situation, and you can involve quite a few people in a fun way. just my two cents

6 Likes

I’d absolutely love for there to be diverse roleplays, backstories, and scenarios. For this to be carried out however, we need individuals who are actually willing to do legit roleplay, which is what I really want to see more of.

5 Likes