Question for Firestone Legislators

Hello Legislators of Firestone,

Today marks the start of my political career in Firestone, which means you’ll see me a lot on these forums, trying to get as much knowledge as I can, so here’s my one question for our experienced legislators. How did you learn to write and read legislation proficiently? Did you research online? Talk to other people? Read legislation made by other legislators? The reason for my eagerness to learn is that I am planning on running for state government in the distant future (legislature), so I want to be able to write and read legislation with ease and hopefully help out other struggling legislators. I would appreciate any information or advice!

Much Love,

Arborfield Councilman JaydxnDev
State of Firestone, City of Arborfield

2 Likes

Much love yes

4 Likes

I dont think you needed a post for this but you just learn overtime

4 Likes

reading legislation isnt really that hard, but its the writing part that got me when i was first starting out,

your best bet is to talk with senior legislators be that on the city, county or state levels, most people are more than willing to help you out with writing your first things ( my dms are always open to everyone )

another way is to just read stuff, see how people write legislation, find someone to model (not copy) your legislation off of, most people have their own, lets say, vocabulary, when they write legislation or any documents.

95% of your job comes with time in your position before you 100% grasp your job and understanding how to do it effectively and efficiently

6 Likes

With my experience in different states like Falcon Falls, I can say that you should try analyzing some bills/resolutions and learn from your peers and people from other states/groups. You can also ask people like etry_playtime and Automationeer, two extremely competent people. As you recently completed your 3rd term within the Vancouver legislature, I think you’re able enough to write a bill with sufficient knowledge.

Also, great job on being proactive, I learned the hard way…

2 Likes

do make sure to actually READ the bills you write, not just for grammar but for sense.

Make sure even the most stupid reader can interpret what you mean assuming they comprehend your words.

Legislation doesn’t have to be pretty but it helps to actually be organized as well

6 Likes

Competent at dropping USB’s into fellow congresspeople’s invintories

2 Likes

Exactly. Etry is MORE than competent.

4 Likes

well automationeer was also a competent ppt

3 Likes

keyword: Was

2 Likes

it says im banned from it my dude, im trying to work it out with discord support

2 Likes

ur banned? u mean ur alt is banned or like

4 Likes

please send the discord ban message such as image or

3 Likes

Personally I read over already passed legislation, and when I wrote mg first piece, had it proofread by some more experienced people. Writing bills you’ll find isnt actually that hard, you’ll pick it up rather quick

3 Likes

I understand, but I think this is a great post for all of the newbies starting their political career (legislature) and anyone else who intends to run

2 Likes

Thank you all for your advice! I will be sure to use the information from now on.

2 Likes

glad to see im still living in your head rent-free

oops i dropped this
https://trello.com/c/UJkeDoVg/104-expulsion-of-ltcomms
sorry you were saying?

you’re some lowley county councillor who doesnt even understand his role, hardly in a position to cast asperations

4 Likes

anywho to respond to the op from my own personal perspective,

Learning to write good bills:

the best way to learn how to write good laws is to write bad ones and be told where you went wrong. that’s just how learning works.

reading laws (both FS and IRL) can also help, but that’s far more passive and doesn’t let you improve as well.

Writing good bills:

the big one is have a good concept
you can write an amazing bill but its automatically awful if the underlying idea and concept are stupid

also remember that laws generally need to be exhaustive – you have to consider about all the potential interpretations and implications

and finally read over your bills
several times
and get people to heavily scrutinize them, especially BCAs
long before you actually propose it

3 Likes

MY FIRST BILL IN CONGRESS THAT WAS PASSED WENT ON THE CRIMINAL CODE WITHOUT A TITLE!

I FIXED THE TITLE!

ABOUT SIX MONTHS LATER EVERYONE DISCOVERED I ACCIDENTALLY MADE IT ILLEGAL FOR EVERY GOVERNMENT EMPLOYEE TO DRIVE THEIR VEHICLES TOO!

7 Likes

You know you are, rent starts in like 5 months tho so

2 Likes