Hostage situations (in terms of roleplay)

Hi all, just a quick… rant?

It’s starting to become ridiculous (in my humble opinion) that some law enforcement officers have seemingly forgotten how to roleplay at hostage situations. Stapleton County is a cops vs. robbers, roleplay game at its core, so I am at a loss as to why I see them saying things aren’t “game feature[s]”. A lot of what goes on in Stapleton County aren’t game features, they’re roleplay scenarios.

Before I continue though, this isn’t an issue with the majority, or at least I don’t believe it is. If you think it is, that’s your opinion and I’ll respect that, and hey ho, maybe I’m wrong!

Now however, it’s beyond me as to why mid-negotiations, or even before negotiations have even started, I (being a SWAT Operative, i.e. a tactical officer) am pressured by patrol officers and other tactical officers to breach a building and cap a hostage taker without any form of roleplay. It’s absurd if you ask me.

I really don’t understand why people instantly go for the rush tactic. They should negotiate first and only if negotiations break down (e.g. taker is completely non-compliant, taker shoots a hostage, etc), should they rush in, but even then, they should breach correctly, not just blast the whole place up.

Before some people comment things like “if I have a shot, I’ll take it”, I fully understand that sometimes it’s more justified to move right for the kill instead of negotiating, however, that isn’t the answer to every single hostage situation. A lot of people complain about the roleplay in Stapleton County, both law enforcement and criminals alike. They accuse each other of failing to roleplay and to be honest, if we can’t even roleplay a (typically) 5-10 scene, what hope do we have.

Instead of going Mano County style and running about guns blazing, how about we preserve our ammunition and focus on what this entire State is based upon, roleplay. It’s really not asking for much.

Law enforcement, stop rushing hostage scenes when roleplaying them is easily tenable.

Criminals, stop using fake “hostages” and do your part to roleplay the scenes.

Everyone, thank you for reading my not-so-quick rant.

(tl;dr) roleplay, roleplay, roleplay!

I know I’ll probably get some toxic fellas in the comments below, but hey ho, you’re all entitled to your own opinions and I’m only human, so I might not have included every aspect of the argument.

This is a discussion category… so have at it peeps!

…and yes, I know I’m not perfect either, I’ve probably not roleplayed a few times myself.

~ Yours truly, dan

8 Likes

For me, and this is from the outside looking in as I’ve never been an LEO or a Criminal. I’ve seen many scenarios in which LEO’s will rush in guns blazing sometimes even shooting hostages in scenarios. Similarly you know that criminals also do things that minimizes RP for LEO’s for me the problem remains that people are playing to win, not playing to have a good interaction or playing to create content. Something that’s stopped me from doing criminal stuff on other accounts yes I’ve considered it but never done it is the lack of RP sometimes. You shouldn’t have to set off every ATM in the server to have a chance at robbing a bank or ATM. All in all the RP in Stapleton county could improve and it’s not limited to LEO’s and Criminals. We also have to remember this isn’t a whitelist community so there will ALWAYS be people who are there to shitlord around. There’s a fine line, and it’s hard to find, I hope it gets found though.

8 Likes

My opinion: Most people don’t properly roleplay it because of a simple concept…:sparkles:laziness :sparkles:

8 Likes

It’s a shame at times for sure to have some ask random ass things, as I like to negotiate in situations even tho I am currently only fps

4 Likes

You stole negotiations from me at a scene earlier! >:(

Jk, you were there way before I was, ly really <3

4 Likes

this doesnt only happen to the officers who pressure tact. operators but i had dhs [post instructor too] pressure myself and 2 deputies during a hostage situation to breach even after we ensued not to pursue that tactic of ending a hostage situation. it is understandable that it is not fun and yes sometimes we may be lazy. after we did breach the bank yet negotiations went smoothly. the dhs shittalked us about how we didn’t communicate well even though the deputy who was breaching did call it in over the radio and after they were c5, he threatened us to make us redo our tier 5 even though he was the one pressuring us to end the hostage situation quick. rushing in just makes it annoying for the criminals that i can agree

4 Likes

Yeah, good on you for negotiating first. Your peers shouldn’t be pressuring you to commit to a certain act, they should be supporting you and dealing with the scene with you, not against you. I can understand it if shots were being fired, hostages were dying, etc, but not if all was dandy.

It’s not right for them to have threatened to make you redo a POST tier for doing your jobs. That’s completely unprofessional and a blatant misuse of their position of power over you.

4 Likes

For me it all depends… if the taker presents no weapon of any kind during the scene (knife, crowbar, gun, etc.) OR the taker is out in the open with no cover, then breaching/rushing should be the first option to end the scene safely.

But if they do present a weapon, negotiations and everything starts, and the scene is roleplayed. However, if the start to attack any hostages or they fire their gun, they have been deemed an active threat and breaching should be done regardless. (Per Fed on this one)

4 Likes

it was all dandy but once he came o/s he instantly wanted us to breach

edit: they had a crowbar

2 Likes

agreed
if no weapon was presented breaching is your first option

4 Likes

I guess it depends on what you’re valuing from an Out of Character prospective. Are you trying to WIN or are you trying to create a good situation for both parties to enjoy whilst trying to win within reason.

2 Likes

I can understand that fully, wanting to make it fun on both sides. But Firestone strives for realism, if we drag a scene on (that we could’ve ended) and someone dies, courts and DPS will ride us.

I know this a grey area of enjoyment vs realism, but we to an extent have to take our job seriously to protect lives not the criminals interest of the game. As we can lose our jobs that we trained for, and that I’ve done since 2016. But at the same, we need criminals for the game to be fun.

2 Likes

this is just sad…
5 Likes

Sometimes yeah, if the hostage taker has no visible weapon, you could breach and apprehend them, but other times it might be less frustrating to roleplay it with them regardless because if they don’t have a weapon, what’s the worst that could happen?

You should definitely attempt negotiations first though if the hostage taker has a weapon, I completely agree with that part. There’s no need to risk any form harm to a hostage because your ego told you to rush in to “win” the scene and kill the hostage taker.

If they don’t roleplay at all then there isn’t much you can do about it, you’re probably gonna have to breach regardless of whatever the case may be. It’s just one of those sticky situations.

4 Likes

That’s part of the problem I have with the court system in firestone. Hyper realism can create bad GAME interactions and lose community members. I don’t the community is going to have to decide if it wants to be a content creation/RP hub, or just cops and robbers. Unfortunately I’ve seen in Firestone people don’t separate Charactera nd out of character AT ALL. You upset them in Dm’s it’ll carry on to the game, the courts, departments, chambers of congress, and so fourth. People take everything personally unfortunately really slows down the RP, and has discouraged me from getting involved in LEO/Criminal myself. Idk, I guess we’ll see what happens. But I think the reality is, the LEO’s have more to lose in terms of TIME when punished for giving a criminal a chance. Frankly and this will be unpopular, I think the founders/administration need to create lines between stuff that’s acceptable in character(Similar to how they made it clear you cant use STREAM CONTENT or YOUTUBE CONTENT to try to fuck people over) The fact that stuff like this has to be said so courts don’t think they’re ACTUALLY courts is beyond me but it seems to be the only way to lay out rules for the RP in the community.

4 Likes

Yeah that’s true, it is nice to kick back and have a nice roleplay. But with the luck of the county, you at scene negotiating someone with no weapon, at CD 3 distresses go off and you’re held liable for not finishing the bank.

4 Likes

Technically, you’ve done nothing wrong. You’re at a scene doing your job. If that happens, other units can detach from the scene and go to the distress signals. There’s normally enough units out and about.

2 Likes

It’s hard to make the balance of what we are. We want to be all things. Some people came to roleplay, some came to be realistic, some see us as cops and robbers.

I truly believe we should be a whitelist community, but that won’t happen.

And maybe instead of 72 hours in jail in game, maybe max time is 2 weeks you can serve out of game (i.e. Norfolk). And say one day you get on see DOC on, and plan with your friends to break out. But that’s a different topic to start lol

4 Likes

the real question is, how often are hostage sits in v2

2 Likes

That just went down and I am questioning some parts of the scene. Shots were fired, so per fed law we did have to breach,

2 Likes