FSP, SCSO, it's time to talk

I have to disagree with your suggestion, Lidels.

It is the responsibillity upon the law enforcement agent, or officer to learn the constitution and follow it. Therefore, it should be mandated for officers to learn the Bill of Rights. There have been many instances where officers commonly do not know the bill of rights and do a mistake as a result of that.

For example, while I was in the Firestone State Patrol, a former sergeant stated that even if he only has reasonable suspicion to search someone, he will still override their search if he feels they are hiding something even if hes not legally permitted to.

Additionally, officers commonly, for example create broad BOLO’s that produce reasonable suspicion arrests, due to the lack of information provided, and can commonly lead to false arrests. Example would be “1F14: BOLO: Black Crown Victoria” even though there could be more then one black crown victoria in the game.

I have made a post about that issue in september, Lack of descriptions in BOLO's in firestone

So I think that as a result of officers not following the constitution, specifically the bill of rights, they should be mandated to learn it.

Evidence of a former sergeant of FSP not knowing what probable cause means

1 Like