FSP, SCSO, it's time to talk

I have to disagree with your suggestion, Lidels.

It is the responsibillity upon the law enforcement agent, or officer to learn the constitution and follow it. Therefore, it should be mandated for officers to learn the Bill of Rights. There have been many instances where officers commonly do not know the bill of rights and do a mistake as a result of that.

For example, while I was in the Firestone State Patrol, a former sergeant stated that even if he only has reasonable suspicion to search someone, he will still override their search if he feels they are hiding something even if hes not legally permitted to.

Additionally, officers commonly, for example create broad BOLO’s that produce reasonable suspicion arrests, due to the lack of information provided, and can commonly lead to false arrests. Example would be “1F14: BOLO: Black Crown Victoria” even though there could be more then one black crown victoria in the game.

I have made a post about that issue in september, Lack of descriptions in BOLO's in firestone

So I think that as a result of officers not following the constitution, specifically the bill of rights, they should be mandated to learn it.

Evidence of a former sergeant of FSP not knowing what probable cause means

1 Like

We should actually go a step further, and require officers to learn a few laws such as Bill to Define Consensual Encounters and Detainments for example. Since laws like this are commonly violated. (Once again an example of this is the broad BOLO’s!)

Also another example

Another officer not understanding why its wrong to search people for reasonable suspicion

While these images are old, they show that officers do not know reasonable and probable cause and why they are important, and I am pretty sure that if it happened then, and not much happened other then a BoR reteaching, im sure other officers have simmilar mindsets that they can just search override someone thats “acting suspicious” or searching someone and overriding their search anyways even though they dont have the right to search them but thinking its okay because searches “only take a small amount of time” and “if your rejecting the search then your hiding something!” is just complete disreguard of the BoR, and officers should be reteached

1 Like

Funny you mention “exam”, since the old exam never dealt with our current tier 5 and the brand new final exam hasn’t even been developed yet… just a patrol simulation.

This really indicates lack of research.

1 Like

ok lets just abandon post and make depts teach everything, that sounds about right?
why the hell would you not teach it in the department that’s an ACADEMY (meant for teaching), and instead for the police department where you apply what you learned

It’s understandable for departments to briefly cover it, but where it should really be taught is POST…they were made for a reason, don’t take their job and throw it onto SCSO/FSP/DHS’s hands

1 Like

If an officer arrests someone because they had a black crown victoria in a WPWT situation, that officer’s certification will be accordingly revoked.

1 Like

yeah your gonna have to revoke a lot of people’s shit lol

1 Like

I have stated on multiple occasions POST needs to. But nevertheless, state law requires DH’s also teach it in training, which they clearly haven’t done.

1 Like

So… your current exam is outdated?

1 Like

I’ve always said this and I’m sticking by it: The department head is always responsible for everything that goes on within their department, doesn’t matter what it is, they’re responsible for it. Don’t tell me I’m wrong because I’m not, especially if you’ve never fucking ran a department before.

2 Likes

No, that one was scrapped during the reboot.

1 Like

I personally think that POST should add a Tier only about laws, BOR etc

2 Likes

Nobody wants to do 7 tiers

1 Like

Doesn’t matter, they NEED to do it.

2 Likes

But if they don’t know the law they have to learn it

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.