FS Application Center Advice

Disclaimer: Respectful Rant. No hate, just frustrated at my inability to answer questions.

I don’t know how people apply to departments. These applications are actually stressful for someone (like me) who looks at them for the first time. Like, the question why are you interested in working for [insert department here]? along with other queries about you are very hard for me (and probably others) to answer, since saying “I found the idea of working here interesting,” or whatever is going to be considered 'not detailed enough.

This is why I personally rarely apply for any departments or POST or try the Bar since the application is just too much to handle, especially since they are super demanding, no matter the job. Even when I oh so want to, I’m not going through the hell that is the Firestone Application Center’s questions. Otherwise, I wouldn’t be crying about it on a forum right now.

So, to bring this back to the point of discussion, people who are used to these applications, got any tips on how to write them without getting overwhelmed? Is it something you have to just get used to or are you supposed to just shrug it off since you’ve seen worse?

I’m not joking, as I’m actually want to apply for a department, but the questions are, well, something I’ve never seen.

Edit: Typo.

2 Likes

I’m not someone who wrote the questions or anything (i’m not even in a department), but I seriously feel this post. This specifically is an issue I struggle with a lot, and contributes to the reason I don’t engage in too much of the RBLX RP scene anymore.

Personally, I find them to just be filler questions for the sake of being there, as they serve little to no practical purpose.

5 Likes

I would strongly suggest going into the application center the first day apps open, and write down all the questions on a google document. Take your time, and do the best you can to answer these questions. As long as you make sure to get them in before applications close, there shouldn’t be any issue, as there is really no benefit to being the first person to submit an application.

8 Likes

As someone who actually enjoys writing applications, usually just do your answers in drafts. Start off with a terrible draft where you’re just getting your ideas down, then come back the next day and review them, possibly changing the wording or context.

8 Likes

Just took Bar for the second time, (first try I just did my best without citing, and taking time.) I worked on my answers since it opened at 12:35pm EST (yesterday June 1st) and I just finished every open ended right now (1:57AM on June 2nd). so… I spent well over 12 hours just formulating answers, citing, sourcing, analyzing every BoR Section 3 times, reading like every constitutional article twice, reading every F.S.C precedent related or applicable…

I answered, answered more questions, went back, found things wrong immediately, corrected, went to another question, re-read applicable sources, fixed, and I kept doing it for every answer, and my answers only got better…

it sucked but jesus. i literally know the BOR and judicial operations article, and GRP and Code of Ethics like I never have before… i almost just know it by thinking of it at this rate.

6 Likes

as an admissions officer, applications are how we parse out the idiots which is why we ask those kinds of questions

6 Likes

*as I actually

3 Likes

what is wrong with you

6 Likes

What I do is I go to the app centre the day they open and note down all the questions on a google doc. I’ll then form basic sentences that I will use to form my answers and then I will expand on those and use different wording and won’t submit until the last day or two of applications being open giving me a week or so to work on them as much as I need.

3 Likes

just let department heads make a Google form and apply via that

1 Like

most of us dont do the apps in 1 day.

for example: i did the bar over a period of 4 days. researched, answered questions, took a break, repeat.

i did do my dept apps in 1 sitting, but i took my time. I didnt rush thru it like “i have 30 minutes to do this” like no i just sat for a while and thought about what i was gonna say. it wont instantly come to your head.

just to get people to think.

oh also for the BAR… its also like that because of how much it is to write mains (Main Arguments in a trial in a court case.) ive written as much as 4 google doc pages worth default font and size no double spaced.

4 Likes

damn :joy: went harder then i did. good luck.

and your right, the BAR does suck to do (not bad, its just so much.) but its how they make sure lawyers will be top notch lol. havent met a horrible lawyer in FS yet, and this is why.

6 Likes

i stayed up for 12 consecutive hours just do i can wait impatiently for 5 more days

4 Likes

Don’t be lazy. Obviously they are meant to filter out lazy kids who have no interest.

3 Likes

Plus adding onto what I said, when I took the DOT application yesterday, it almost mocked an application you’d see in real life. Life won’t get any easier for you from here on out. You will need to fill out lengthy applications, especially for college. Now I know this is Roblox, but at least take something out of this so you can use it in your life.

3 Likes

what do you MEAN…apps are fun

3 Likes

departments have full control over what appears on applications through trello, we choose it to be there

3 Likes

It took me around 3-4 days to fully make my SCSO application the first time I applied back in 2019. Open up the application center, and open a google doc. Write down the questions, and from then on you can work on your application little by little, as long as the applications are open. Once you’re ready, run it through Grammarly, paste your application from the google doc to the actual application center game, and then submit.

6 Likes

Dedication right there

3 Likes

Practice inventing ridiculously over-engaging reasons for joining the department. Use complex language. I don’t think copying questions is effective, if you can’t think of anything on-the-spot then is there really a reason to apply or join?

8 Likes