Employee Rights, Benifit or Burden?

The Senate Candidate @JamesDitomosso has brought up a topic in his campaign speech I’ve always thought about in FS. Should government employees have certain rights when it comes to dismissals, suspensions, and so on? I would like to present some points on the issue for when the day comes that these may exist. Firstly, I have always stuck by the rule of, “a department can fire you for any reason they please,” but I’ll be as unbiased as possible here.

I could see and support some basic rules, like you can’t fire someone for their race, sexual orientation, sex, etc. or protecting whistle blowers. But my main fear is regulations on, besides the above, why a person can be fired. I’d like to bring up a great example of what happens when these rules get put in place: the City of Norfolk. I served about four terms worth of time as the NC City Attorney. Norfolk has extensive employee rights legislation. Pretty much the only reasons you could fire a person for were: criminal activity, corruption, abuse, or being inactive for half a month. The result this had is that all City services became god awful, because you basically had to try to get fired. I’m talking disrespect, refusal to follow chain of command, negligence, lack of knowledge of rights and law, general insolence, and so on. And this was in all services from main ones like police and fire, to the DOT. Because even if someone was awful at their job and a squeaker, you couldn’t fire them. This could easily destroy the State. I will say that instating light regulations and allowing for discretion by regulating bodies (DPS, the Governors, etc.) could make it work. But yeah, this is my take on the matter. Vote on this nifty poll below:

• Instate basic employee rights (no race discrimination and so on)
  • Instate heavy employee rights (very specific instances when employees may be disciplined)
  • Keep things as is

0 voters

2 Likes

My plan is to put in basic employee rights, with some other rights.

Signed,
Former Deputy Attorney General and Candidate for the House of Representatives,
JamesDitomosso

2 Likes

Do you know yet what those things are?

1 Like

Cannot be fired for, nor declined employment for:

• Personal issues
  • Sexuality
  • Race
  • Saying anything while not representing the department (freedom of speech)
    possibly more
2 Likes

I’d like to assist @jamesditomosso in doing so.

2 Likes

Ok. I kinda disagree with personal issues, mainly for law Enforcement; you need a clear and sharp mind. But we’ll see where this goes. Good luck.

1 Like

I’ll support basic employee rights. However, I still believe that they can and should retain high expectations and standards for their employees.

2 Likes

I’m all for it.

1 Like

I could see this, rights when you’re received a consequence that it not be announced publicly by the employer, and so on. Nothing too extensive. Perhaps a log of all terminations, mandated that files be held onto for 3 months or something.

1 Like

I think personal issues doesn’t only relate to mental health, but things such as issues at home, family, life-changing situations etc. However, if one’s personal issues do start to affect work ethic and performance, I think his/her employees should be able to work out a resolution with his/her superiors in order to fix that, such as time off.

1 Like

According to FDOC Assistant Warden Tactical: https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/320327631033860119/404305169921212418/image.png

1 Like

That’s one way to do it.

2 Likes
1 Like