[DEBATE] Shutting down DPS

AS STATED IN THE TITLE, THIS IS A DEBATE FORUM, NOT A PETITION. IT IS KNOWN THAT DPS WILL BE STAYING, THIS IS A FORUM TO SEE THE PUBLIC OPINION OF DPS AND IF THE PUBLIC BELIEVES DPS IS NEEDED OR NOT

For me, I’m under the belief that DPS is redundant. I understand that DPS is comprised of many law enforcement officers, former high ranks, all this and that, however, regardless of who does what, departments will still investigate misconduct by their officers and most times, all this actually goes to the supervisors, not the Department of “Public Safety”. Having said this, DPS investigates cases even though departments are fully able to, and since those investigating will be of that of high ranking, skill, leadership, and most importantly, experience in enforcing the laws while following THEIR department guidelines, why do we need DPS?

Let’s face it, I believe the Captains and deputy heads of the department have the skill and the intelligence to properly investigate and discipline their employees when they violate terms, standards, or the law. They’ve mostly been serving for over 6-12 months on the force, so they certainly have the experience to do so. Why does a department that has a fancy badge come investigate, and when they do, they fail to investigate properly and there are cases of the department high command directly ignoring these reports, thus the state government must get involved?

This is no way meant to hurt or insult DPS agents, it attempts to highlight my opinion on why I don’t believe DPS is essential to the group. I respect all DPS agents who do their job carefully and respect the position that they are in as it is a very powerful and important position to treat properly. That being said, I love a good debate and maybe I can learn things that DPS does that agencies would never do. That in mind, vote away.

• Abolish DPS in favour for IA divisions in departments / allowing supervisors to take all cases
  • Keep the current system where all agencies still investigate about 50% of misconduct cases and DPS occasionally investigates (and most of the time, incorrectly) cases.

0 voters

3 Likes

Fed wouldn’t allow

3 Likes

please read the actual disclaimer at the top or the title itself, i already said this

3 Likes

I mean, I like the idea of the departments have IA, but we all know fed won’t allow it even though if the vote for IA wins.

3 Likes

I’d like to add that many of the cases that DPS take are legal cases, such as false arrested, violation of BOR, etc. This can easily be taken care of in court, instead of DPS.

3 Likes

As stated in the forum, title, etc, we know that DPS won’t be abolished, this is a debate, stop commenting “fed won’t allow”.

2 Likes

Exactly.

2 Likes

I mean, thats the whole point. Why even debate if fed wouldn’t allow.

2 Likes

I have no idea, this is just an argument waiting to happen.

2 Likes

Again, as stated in the post itself, it can help me either see why DPS might be distinct and needed, or really solidify my theory that DPS isn’t needed.

2 Likes

DPS is not needed because you have courts and the governor.

3 Likes

Basically the courts and the DOJ take care of legal issues, and the department IA take care of the LEO policy issues. It’s as simple as that. DPS keeps sticking their ass in this, and more times then not, they mess it all up.

4 Likes

Ah yes. The everlasting controversy of DPS.

I think DPS should NOT be removed. You ask why?

What if, the HICOMM/IA/Supervisors has a bias against/to an officer, and it goes unchecked? DPS exists to solve that problem. They are the outside investigators with no bias.

DPS should remain. Outside investigations are key to keep officer behavior in check.

On a side note, what’s up with the “Keep the current system where all agencies still investigate about 50% of misconduct cases and DPS occasionally investigates (and most of the time, incorrectly) cases.”?

For future reference, your bias shows loud and clear here.

1 Like

What if, the HICOMM/IA/Supervisors has a bias against/to an officer, and it goes unchecked? DPS exists to solve that problem. They are the outside investigators with no bias.

What if, DPS has bias and their HCOM won’t fix it? We have the governor. Same case for if departments show bias. Why do we need this extra agency that creates a triangle with discipline, when the same process for corruption generally exists if a supervisor or a DPS agent investigates.

For future reference, your bias shows loud and clear here.

Yes, it is, that’s the point, I wish to learn valid reasons as to why DPS exists, that will hopefully change the bias. Regardless, the title of the vote summarizes their duties from my perspective very well.

2 Likes

I personally am not a believer in department IA’s, ROBLOX wise. Department command staff have tendencies to favorite and their forms of punishment are extremely inconsistent and change on a case to case basis. DPS won’t ever get shutdown, either.

5 Likes

If there is bias against the employees then why are they in IA

3 Likes

What says DPS isnt?

2 Likes

Lots of reasons. Maybe the HICOMM doesn’t care and they leave their IA unchecked.

2 Likes

some dps investigators have bais as well I have heard

Also fed created DPS to be impartial people investigating LEO conduct, DPS is literally the equivalent of IA since it is made up majorly of current LEOs so bias can still be presented.

3 Likes

But we’ve seen this happen to DPS just now. It’s rare but the governor just stepped into a case causing days of work to be reverted because DPS HCOM refused to take action.

2 Likes