Cityuser for the House

Elect cityuser to the House of Representatives

Hello! I am cityuser (or just “city”) and I’m running for the House of Representatives. In this state, I am a lawyer by trade. Reading and applying our laws, however, I have become increasingly interested in improving them. I enjoy writing legislation and solving the issues that arise in the process. I often give my opinion on legislative proposals, along with feedback and suggestions on how to improve them and make them clearer: even if I don’t agree with them. Driven by this interest, I’ve chosen to run for office.

Experience

Some relevant positions and experience:

• Bar certified since June 2021

• Redwood City Attorney

• Junior Partner at Float & Stamose, Attorneys at Law

• Counsel at the Firestone Civil Liberties Union (FCLU)

• Associate State Attorney (prosecutor in training)

Legislation

I wrote the Thievery Act of 2022 which, at the time of writing this, is on the House docket. Among other things, it criminalizes the theft of services (using a business’ service but refusing to pay the agreed-upon price) and theft by false pretenses (using deception to get something).

Agenda

There are three main legislative projects I want to ensure are completed by the end of my term, if I am elected.

Reform election law. The current law about elections and the electoral process is outdated and contradictory. For such an essential part of our democracy, election law is in disrepair. For example, election sponsors can add any election regulation they see fit, at any time. I don’t want to sound alarmist, but it is a crisis waiting to happen. I have assisted with preparatory work for a rework, but these efforts have unfortunately stalled. As a Representative, my goal will be to ensure that a proposal is submitted before my term is up.

Expand the freedom of information. The freedom of information as it exists in Firestone right now is insufficient. Not only is it restricted by classification laws, the Supreme Court held that even “employee information” is considered “classified” and thereby excluded from freedom of information requests. The Court also interpreted BOR.X as requiring that information must be “collected to be released” … to be released. To me, it is clear that expanding the freedom of information should be a priority.

Clarify when travel routes can be closed. When roads and other public travel routes can be closed or restricted, especially to accomodate events, is currently quite poorly defined. For example, amendments to the Firestone Traffic Act made to accomodate these closures have essentially been lost to time. I will make a proposal which clarifies when and how public travel can be restricted.

Minor projects

I am also working on a few minor legislative proposals that I may propose if I am elected.

• A law which defines the act of perjury. Currently, this crime is known as Providing False Testimony to an Official of the Government and partially overlaps with the Truthful Testimony Act of 2019.

• A law which clarifies when prisoners can be transferred from correctional facilities.

• A law which defines some basic facts about the state, such as our language and currency.

• A law which establishes the right to relinquish, that is, the right to give up any certification you currently hold - no questions asked.

Functioning of Congress

These are my views on various other issues concerning the functioning of Congress.

• I oppose the use of legislation to ban or bar individuals from departments or from operating a business.

• Expulsions from Congress should require a two-thirds vote of the respective chamber, not a simple (1/2) majority.

• I will propose a constitutional amendment to change the Arabic numerals (1, 2, 3 …) in Article III of the Constitution to Roman numerlas (I, II, III …) to ensure consistency.

• I will propose a bill numbering system.

• I will advocate that more congressional sessions are hosted in V2.

And that’s pretty much it. Feel free to ask me anything.

4 Likes

HELL YEAH SUPPORT

THIS GUY IS AMAZING

2 Likes

Support and endorsed. Terrific and incredibly qualified candidate.

2 Likes

Major support.

2 Likes

100% support

2 Likes

Support!

2 Likes

SUPPORT

2 Likes

Support

2 Likes

Support

2 Likes

i like u, support

2 Likes

support, good bar cert man

2 Likes

support

2 Likes

support.

2 Likes

chonky ass support

2 Likes

SUPPORT

2 Likes

Support

2 Likes

Major support. Endorsed. Cityuser has great potential and knowledge.

2 Likes

support :slight_smile:

2 Likes

This man helped let me plan to make it illegal for chicken to cross the roads in redwood, support!

2 Likes