[V2] Racing flags for Firestone Speedway

Alright, before I start this off, I know people will comment “Oh other businesses need more attention, why do they deserve this” and all of this usual stuff. Before you post that generic comment, please read this post and consider this is just a suggestion. There are a lot of businesses that deserve recognition. I’m just adding to that conversation and adding this as a suggestion in that discussion.

So my suggestion is quite simple. I would like for the Firestone Speedway to have some racing flags, which can be commonly found across all race venues in the world. The reason for this is that it is currently very hard for the officials to communicate what is going on and what they want the drivers to do. Yes, they currently have a traffic light system, but that only has three modes. Most racing categories have at least ten flags or so, so using the traffic lights to signal all important messages is just impossible. If we want to get a little more serious about the races that are being hosted at the Speedway and want them to be a little more elaborate than having to stop every few laps or so due to a massive crash, I think flags are a great way to start working on that.
This suggestion doesn’t necessarily have to be very hard to implement. In fact, I have made some custom flags myself for a group not associated with Firestone. I have flags in accordance with the regulations commonly used in American racing series (on the left of the picture with all the flags) and flags in accordance with the regulations of the FIA (on the right of the picture with all the flags). I’d be more than willing to make these models available to the developers with no strings attached.
Picture:

I also have an animation for these flags, but it’s quite simple. I’d be willing to work on one that’s a little better if requested.

So yeah that’s my basic suggestion, you can complain about how business X deserves something more than Firestone Speedway now. Thanks for reading.

22 Likes

Support, this can be extremely useful.

/s/
Kamraxn
Track Manager

5 Likes

Aaaa this is sick and amazing! That would be cool as hell. Thanks skele for your amazing ideas once again, totally would be cool if the speedway had that.

nic0le_kely
Director of Operations

5 Likes

support

5 Likes

i think this is a good way to go, and if need be you could have multiple flag holders throughout the track(kinda like how racetracks have lights throughout the track) to indicate hazards, dqs, etc.

5 Likes

As the owner of ISC (which owns of FS Speedway), I have to support this - Which I shall do by LIKING THE POST.

But, I must say not every flag is needed in that set. Following the NASCAR, and thereby, the Stock Car standard for racing (as we have no open wheel series in FS) we only need:

Green White Checkered - Displayed when a stage has reached its conclusion.

Green White Checkered

Only required for races when formatted into a stage system. This has only come around since the early 00’s of NASCAR racing, by splitting each race into 3 stages. 1st Stage is usually 1-2/6th of the race, followed by the 2nd Stage taking up 2/6th of the race, and the Final stage being the remaining 2-3/6th of the race and on the final stage the Checkered flag is shown.

Green Flag - Displayed to begin either the Race, qualifying session, or return to racing.

Green Flag

Returning to racing includes from the caution flag displayed during competition cautions after each stage, to a resumption after red flag conditions where the entire field has been frozen in place or asked to form at a particular area.

White Flag - Displayed at 1 lap to go.

White Flag

This also means that for drivers many laps down, they will have 1 more scored lap and will not be scored after the checkered flag. It is also a decision point for any cautions that come out, some races may be finished under caution conditions however it has been the NASCAR standard to run into overtime to finish under green.

Checkered Flag - Displayed at race completion.

Checkered Flag

Not only can be flown once a race has fully finished, but may mark an early finish if the race cannot make a race suspension or go into overtime for whatever reason.

Caution Flag - Displayed when an significant incident has occurred on track.

Caution Flag

Displayed only when a significant incident has happened in racing, forcing the pace car to bring the field back into formation for a pace lap before proceeding when safe to do so under green flag racing conditions.

Red Flag - Displayed when a race has been suspended.

Red Flag

Displayed only when an incident, either on-track, weather-wise, or any incident where there is serious risk to driver or crowd safety the race must be immediately suspended. All vehicles are to move at PACE speed towards the pits or a selected area and await further instruction.

Black Flag - Displayed to an individual racer to consult the regulatory body.

Black Flag

This flag indicates to a SPECIFIC DRIVER that they need to go down into Pit lane and answer questions by the regulatory body. This may be for any reason from unsafe-violent driving, unsafe vehicle, anything that warrants the driver to stop racing. This will usually result in a penalty, but may result in the driver being able to return to racing.

Black Cross Flag - Displayed to a driver who hasn’t answered a Black flag in 5 laps.

Black Cross Flag

This flag is flown to a driver who has failed to respond to a black flag after it has been issued 5 laps prior. This flag indicates the driver is NO LONGER being scored by the regulatory body.

These following flags aren’t really needed but could be a nice touch

Red Cross Flag - Displayed ONLY AT PIT ROAD, designates it as closed.

Blue Yellow Flag - Displayed to lapped or near lapped cars, the leaders are closing.

Blue Yellow Flag

Only needed on major scale courses like Daytona and Talladega where cars can go multiple laps down quickly, or where leaders can easily lap cars trying to stay in the race. Indicates to those lapped cars to move out of the way and be courteous to the passing traffic, usually to the high or low sides, never the middle.

8 Likes

The flags on the left are for American style racing, everything on the right is in accordance with FIA regulations (which NASCAR doesn’t follow). I just thought I’d post both because I wasn’t sure which one would be preferred. I personally only watch FIA sanctioned series so I wasn’t completely sure which flags NASCAR use and interestingly their regulations are private. I can easily make that Red Cross Flag, that shouldn’t be an issue.

4 Likes

+Plain blue flag doesn’t exist in NASCAR toooo

5 Likes

According to google it’s used on road courses for local hazards but idk so I just put it in :man_shrugging:

4 Likes

Huge support

5 Likes

+support

5 Likes

Support

5 Likes

Support

5 Likes