Roleplay VS Gameplay

By roleplay means roleplay-based games like firestone. By gameplay games means games like New Haven County or Ridgeway.

Over some time, I’ve noticed that roleplay genre games have been losing out to gameplay genre games, especially ones with lots of action, like the ones I mentioned above and I actually noticed more people move into games like New Haven (Not sure whether they like it but just an observation) and that of course, some people from gameplay based games have come to firestone but it seems to be much lesser than the pool of people who move from the roleplay games to the gameplay based games. What are your opinions about both types of games? I know some people would like one type and another group would like another, or maybe a certain pool of people who likes both. I always do see the same people in the same server and it does get repetitive as the roleplays probably do get boring over time as they mainly go over the same situation except for small differences like maybe location or a few details. Of course gameplay games have the same issue but I seem to get burnt out less on gameplay based games. I also do see lesser ro-states aimed at roleplaying but one that stood out with pretty good roleplay was Life:SV and they did it really well. Personally I’ve experienced all 3 games which were aforementioned and I do prefer gameplay games, just my opinion. Of course gameplay based games do get “roleplay” scenes like traffic stops or felony stops and hostage situations too. And throughout probably my near 1 year of being in Firestone, the roleplay really has decreased and its lots of pursuits and shootings now. Don’t get me wrong but I do like both, I also still like roleplay if its a new type of scene and different stuff I would handle during the roleplay scene. I don’t see much good roleplays anymore, bank robberies are repetitive - arrive on scene, get demands, taker surrenders or gets killed - and eventually end up being boring.

Edit: In my opinion this really does show how fragile the roleplay community in firestone is, before losing karis (hardly see her ingame) and kora, void and trash roleplays were really fun and enjoyable but as I said, nowadays its just boring and repetitive or its shootings and pursuits mainly.

TL;DR Opinions about gameplay based (New Haven / Ridgeway) or roleplay based (Firestone) and how RP games might be dying out to gameplay based games. Noticed FS has lower RPs from when I joined.

12 Likes

Please dont bully me for the tags i know i tagged it badly if a mod could tag it properly it would help a lot thanks

4 Likes

Yeah, I just wished we could honestly separate a bit from Discord and the actual game. There is a ton of drama, if not more, that happens off game on the Discord then what’s really needed. An example of this is when LEO’s are scared to even interact with a criminal on Discord in fear they’ll be labeled as aiding and abetting or commit some other type of violation.

I personally like roleplaying but I don’t like the toxicity and the unnecessary drama associated with it. I think the community would be better off if we only enforced crimes within the actual game (Classified Documents, Corruption, and other community breaking crimes aside).

6 Likes

I can relate to you on the point of toxicity as I’ve experienced it first-hand before and that one press of the wrong key and you could be banned for fail roleplaying as you maybe accidentally popped a non-stationary vehicle’s tire and the criminal would start acting toxic to you and you get a ban but rules really do suck sometimes. (I come from a leo standpoint cause im not a criminal sorry) Of course some LEO’s are toxic too towards criminals and thats pretty unnecessary imo.

Personally i haven’t experienced drama within the firestone discord but of course classified documents have to be enforced.

5 Likes

It’s almost impossible to escape toxicity, especially in a group full of teenagers that are fighting on their keyboards for lego leadership roles. (not saying all leaders in firestone do that).

8 Likes

barely anything interesting happens now, if i go back through my patrols, probably 70% of my arrests are just people punching others at cd, then my other time is spent going to an empty atm at prom bank, not to mention that i have to spend most of my time at cd since thats the only place with constant “action” (aka people in srts going 110 up and down rw blvd)

6 Likes

toxicity is everywhere unfortunately

5 Likes

Firestone should transfer to gameplay-based development. The failure of the RP points system proves how flawed ‘roleplay’ is in a sizable community such as Firestone.

14 Likes

& I hope it does, the punching feature is a step in that direction I guess since you’re actually doing the animation instead of doing -punches- without anything happening other being cuffed & arrested

7 Likes

I agree. Unless you do a whitelist system and build a community around that, RP based games on Roblox just aren’t feasible after they get popular. I firmly support games that more focus on the gameplay mechanics themselves. Of course, even in NHC and such you can do small RP situations (FD responses, hostage situations, etc.), but when they aren’t the game’s focus it’s very clearly better.

8 Likes

rp is king

4 Likes

The goal is to be a perfect mixture of both. Firestone had it but lost it.

6 Likes

Lack of separation between OOC and IC creates a situation in which anything you do can be used against you in firestone. Making it actively harder to participate in something like firestone as most things are done on third party websites. If you want to do something other then cops and robbers you’re going to be spending most of your time on discord, which is disappointing wasn’t always that way. Firestone I’d argue is a gameplay game as that’s what most moderation and rules are based around. You cant use a stream or video against someone but you can use a DM that had nothing to do with nothing. Officers can get fired for being critical of the department they’re in on twitter, and so fourth. There’s a lot of problems in separation of RP and Out of RP. Makes firestone hard to function in but it’s too late to change now.

7 Likes

roleplay not a good idea with 11 year olds

5 Likes

Firestone has never and will never have OOC and IC separation. What you do elsewhere impacts everything in Firestone and thats been like that since the start…

4 Likes

If they made V2 cost like R$100-250, I’m sure more people would roleplay and the ridiculous amount of FRPing scene rammers and attention seekers would decrease significantly. I’m sure most V2 alpha and beta players such as myself miss how much better Stapleton County used to be with limited access.

4 Likes

yeah firestone sucks because it chooses to be limiting. The focus on roleplay and refusal to move entirely into gameplay. (V3 is more gameplay based I believe though so :partying_face:) Big thing is that you can’t be a criminal and a cop. Makes no sense to me. The quality of roleplay would improve for everyone. Also the “well a cop cant be a criminal irl!!!” lol who cares? who cares exactly? nobody. “But we won’t look professional.” ik no one says this but maybe fed thinks we’ll look unprofessional. and again lol who cares? the only people who pay attention to this state are those within it who would appreciate more fun roleplay than the fact that cops are robbing banks in the off time. Cry about it I guess. The fact that a small mistake can seriously cost you in FS is just dumb. If I’m in any position of power in FS, I won’t go in county because god forbid I accidentally hit a cop. #AllowEveryoneToDoEverything

3 Likes

this would just… not work at all and will never happen

4 Likes

and why is that

4 Likes

Because its not how Firestone works. You can go to Mano County if you want that but the reality is that Firestone is a community which revolves around mimicing how a person would be treated irl in the same scenario… removing this would make the government useless because everyone could say “well I was ‘out of character’ so I didnt mean it!” and would make reputability of people and characters 0

5 Likes