Potential Removal of the Stapleton County Government

Indeed

3 Likes

Here’s a section of my County Executive resignation letter than talks about abolishing the county government:

However, I would like to speak to the people on one more topic that has
been of concern not only for myself but many others. I took on the duties as
County Executive in order to fix what has never been done before, but clearly it
will still never been accomplished. With that, I offer you all my opinion that in light
of the current political climate and regardless of my resignation, I believe that in
the best interest of the state, the county government should be abolished.
The reason I say this and bring it up is for several different reasons:

● The county government’s only real priority and duty is to appoint a County
Sheriff and Fire Chief, which can easily be handled under the state level.
● The county government has always been lacking members and
competence in terms of council and bills. Therefore it would make sense
to abolish these positions that only cause drama rather fix real problems.
● If we were to abolish the county government, that would offer more
candidates who show interest in the legislative branch to run for
Congress, thus eliminating the chance of a government stallment and
tougher competition during elections.

I hope everyone supports me in this decision and allows for a more
flexible and reliable government when the county government is no more.

4 Likes

Good point since all State laws are just county level laws and all county laws are state-level laws technically. We need at least a second county for your idea and how do we know if the duel county governments will even work since we only have one county game the other county will be powerless just sitting there unless we split the game into the two counties such as County Division.

4 Likes

Not exactly, county laws get overruled by state laws if there is ever a conflict. Considering that the county is doing the same stuff as Congress, there is no need to have a second Congress that passes laws that are not up to the quality of our Congress, not enforced, nor noticed in this state.

4 Likes

a moment of silence for realism

3 Likes

Realism is a poor soul. But hey, ‘tis a game.

2 Likes

Gotta crawl before you can walk.

3 Likes

The county can be very effective if done correctly and under good leadership. But I do think the State should be able to function properly as a whole without the county slowing them down, so you have to find the perfect middle or way to do that.

EDIT: Obviously without overstepping jurisdictions.

3 Likes

To be fair, to debate this proposal.

The county government might have many weaknesses and in its current state, it might not serve many purposes.
However, rebranding county departments as state departments would seem to be an odd move to do. Instead of strangling the county and it’s powers, perhaps allowing the county to be more autonomous with it’s laws, positions, and departments. Of course the state would still maintain a decent level of control, however instead of clamping down on autonomy, perhaps we should atleast experiment and release it instead of entrapping it.

3 Likes

See the problem with the County is the SCSO their own police department doesn’t enforce their laws and when they do pump out the occasional good law it never gets enforced.

3 Likes

That is the point, the county’s laws are overshadowed by those of the states. County ordinances should have a level of recognition. Sure people might argue they will pass ridiculous laws, but that is what the courts exist for. Maintaining checks and balances preventing ridiculous laws.

The County Government has fallen apart because no one wants to be in it. Because they feel the purpose of it is diminished. Of course I cannot speak for all, but that is atleast what I believe.

3 Likes

You speak the truth

2 Likes

Since being in it myself I know the difficulties of it and it is harder maintaining your reputation than as a Senator there because of what they do

3 Likes

Putting an end to a symbolism of realism in our great and powerful state will deal a blow to what makes us unique. We will be denying a form of realism in a local government that would help increase efficiency and representation in our government which has been faultering for awhile.

3 Likes

My point has continuously been that the County Government does not have the required amount of skilled and quality legislators to run it effectively, something I still stand by. “Rebranding” county departments is something that is not going to be happening with those departments, the only change is their department heads get nominated by the Governor and confirmed by the Senate, just like any other cabinet nominee. While I agree that having a County Government has its advantages and is realistic from a role-play perspective, I just cannot justify allocating resources to a government that has been proven to be ineffective and unable to produce quality legislation. Once we get more citizens and a strong Congress, I believe that then a quality County government or governments will be feasible, efficient, and sensible. At this point in time however, I cannot say we have any of those 3 qualities. A removal of the County Government is what is currently the best choice of action for the health of this State and it’s legislators in my personal opinion - one that is shared with over half the State as seen by the poll above. For the betterment of the State, this is the best course of action in the here and now.

4 Likes

Of course City Councils were a disaster, we don’t need to abolish the county government, what we need is STRONG AND CAPABLE leaders that can lead the local government out of the dark ages and into a new glorious age of efficiency and sustainability. But in order for it to do that, it needs to be given a chance.

3 Likes

I agree

3 Likes

We have over 25,000 people there are bound to be good legislatures not in office that could easily run and win, its their reputation that needs to be fixed to fix the people not running for the County Seats

3 Likes

Sure the Governor can easily take the tasks of the County Executive, but this would remove a point of representation in our government. We have had great County Executives, great County Councils, it’s been shown it’s possible to make the county government efficient.

3 Likes

All effective ones “graduated” to the Congress and higher up and the current state of it makes it so no one runs anymore or atleast no educated people in Government for it

2 Likes