[Poll and Debate] The Future of County Government

As a whole, is the County Government a valuable asset to the community of Firestone?

• Yes
  • No

0 voters

As a whole, are the members of the County Government qualified enough to perform their jobs?

• Yes
  • No

0 voters

If the people have complaints about the House, DM me via Discord or message any other Representative. We are willing to listen to the people of Firestone. You just have to reach out.

I understand there is a petition to dissolve county government with approximately 28 unique supports, however, in order to fully understand what everyone wants, both sides must be lobbying for the creation of a fair bill. That’s why in the real world, it is important to call your Representatives, so that your voice can be heard.

Petition: A Petition to Abolish the Stapleton County Government

According to the polls (at the time of this post,) only 52% of people want the county abolished; however, 79% of people say that the Council does not listen to them. This is a staffing problem, not a government problem.

Polls: Firestone poll
Local Government Poll

I am for shutting down the County, only if it can resurface under a new administration. The total abolition of the county government is too radical of an idea, and we must take into consideration what we are bringing to the table.

1. We are losing a fundamental piece in the political field that has managed the SCSO and the SCFD.

2. We are giving more power to the State and monopolizing decision-making to the State.

3. Using the same logic of just having one legislative body, one executive body and one judicial body, we can further apply the same principals to other aspects of the community, such as our police force. (E.g., combining the SCSO and FSP into one body to streamline vital decisions, combining the State Senate and House, etc.)

tl;dr This is not an issue of the government itself, it is an issue of the people who run it. There must be reform brought upon the County to prevent loopholes and general idiocy. The dissolution of the county is too extreme of an option as of now.

This is just my opinion, I’d like to hear what others have to think. Please keep it civil.

1 Like

I forgot to mention this: I will close the polls in 24 hours.

1 Like

I am aware. I put that poll in my original post. I just want more feedback that I can use when I take action.

1 Like

shut it down

1 Like

May you elaborate on why your opinion is that way, please?

1 Like

SCFD’s reputation has definitely decreased, they have lost lots of command members, and been through a lot of stuff lately. Why? Because of the county council went ahead and split themselves from the CE, and tried to do all of this in secret ASAP. They’ve caused enough problems for SCFD, and I can go on about SCSO. I’ve seen bills try to be created where CC can fire my deputies or SCFD’s firefighters (generalized as anyone in the department)-- which is completely bullocks.

You may say, “ok, well maybe it’s just this administration”. The county government has had problems for a long long time now, and everytime we say “lets just change the administration and fix it!”, it never works. I’m not saying everyone in county government is bad, but those who are competent can go to the state government and enjoy their position there.

Sure, county government has it benefits, but I think it has caused us all way too many problems at this point and we are wasting our time trying to deal with it. You see, county doesn’t have much to do, so they focus on what they have - which is dictating the departments they oversee, and making retarded legislation.

I stand with shutting it down. Some councilmen are good, some are not; but in the end, the government itself is no good.

1 Like

Thank you; now I understand. Are there any specific incidents where certain county staff were underqualified in any way? (Other than the impeachment of Mack; that is still disputed as far as I have heard.)

1 Like

Dont shut it down son.

If the county goes away, these two main legal problems will arise.

1. Do municipalities still exist?
Most likely yes, but this still could be disputed

2. Would county departments need to be re-worked to be state departments?
Since the bill to establish them is on the county level I believe

Also, the state government does shady and sometimes stupid shit all the time, but, when they do it, the state government doesn’t get abolished. So why abolish the county government?

Additionally, the county government has only made one mistake this term versus the several mistakes municipalities have made. And while I do stand in my position to represent and defend city governments, I also believe in fair punishment. In this case, it would make sense to abolish them, and not us. As we only made one controversial decision, which is to attempt to impeach the SCFD Chief. This was still in our legal authority.

Another point, primarily directed to Chiefs and sheriffs is that, under this bill, the governor and congress would be the deciders for sheriffs and chiefs. This could be disastrous, considering the immaturity of some house representatives. For example, Rep. PewDiePie recently made joke legislation with the governor as a supporter, while the governor did not support the bill. The bill also used a meme and “evidence”. Would you want these people deciding your employment?

Also, on top of that, the bill to rid of us is badly written. Atleast, according to the Sol. General.

Instead, I would suggest just removing all people currently in county government, and redoing elections. Shall that be between abolishment and that. But, I would always prefer keeping the government as is, if at all possible.

1 Like

I believe the County Executive called a special election just for that reason. Once my polls get a sample size of 50 or higher, I will make a final decision. I don’t want to shut down the county, but I am considering a temporary shutdown as a trial run to see if the county is actually worth keeping.

1 Like
1 Like