Petition for Legislation Regarding Dual Charges

Alright, so just a few minutes ago I was involved in a pursuit with two suspects dressed identically. Previously, one had kidnapped a civilian. After we got them stopped, they both hopped out and ran in the same direction, making it virtually impossible for the LEO’s on scene to distinguish who was the driver, and who was the passenger who had done the kidnapping. With no valid evidence to prove either to be one or the other, we ended up being forced to drop both the Evasion and Kidnapping charges, else we risk falsely arresting them, and instead charge them with Obstruction of Justice and Assisting in a Criminal Act, two much lesser charges.

Now, this is quite obviously a predicament that we should want to avoid, and I get the feeling that since it has worked once, criminals will quickly pickup the idea and attempt it more often. This is something that should be avoided at all costs, as we don’t need those who endanger countless lives running from the police, those who kidnap our citizens, or those who kill innocent civilians and the Law Enforcement Officers who try to protect him, running free after a short prison sentencing because the LEOs who eventually captured him or her could only charge them with much lesser charges than what they should be facing.

I call for the legislative bodies of the State of Firestone, to draft legislation which would amend this flaw. Many may be wondering how this could be done, and to those I propose two ideas.

Firstly, I propose a new bill, which would allow all suspects involved in situations like these, to both be charged with any charge in question. In my honest opinion, this isn’t the best option, as I could see it easily being abused without proper restrictions, restrictions that could potentially interfere with the whole purpose of the bill.

Secondly, I propose an Amendment to the current Assisting in a Criminal Act bill. This Amendment would now allow those charged with this crime to be arrested for the amount of time they would be should they have actually commit the crime, or hell, even said time but minus 60 to 80 seconds. This would still maintain the current charge, and shouldn’t create any new loopholes if done correctly, and will allow those criminals who attempt to deceive law enforcement by doing this, to be locked away for the appropriate times.

tl;dr criminals dress up as each other, cant tell who is who, so we need to make bill or amend a current bill to make sure they get arrested for the right charges

2 Likes

Negative. If you can’t keep eyes on them, that’s your problem. I can already see this going badly even with restrictions. Risk outweighs reward on this one.

4 Likes

It’s not that we couldn’t keep eyes on them, we caught both of them. They were running the same direction, intertwining. Even if we had video evidence, it would be virtually impossible to tell who was who.

2 Likes

Still sounds like your problem. The risk to the freedom and safety of the citizens is too great to create legislation like this.

2 Likes

Still not getting how two criminals who risked the lives of countless civilians and kidnapped one not getting charged for the crimes they are guilty of due to the fact that we have inadequate legislation is my problem

2 Likes

Did you use the plate of the vehicle to distinguish who was the driver? …

3 Likes

We attempted, however the driver seat was unlocked so either could have been the driver, and both claimed under Miranda that the other was the driver. Simultaneously, actually.

2 Likes

Get their ids?

2 Likes

That isn’t a legislative problem but ok…

2 Likes

Last I checked is the legislatures job to make laws, including criminal ones. So yes, it is.

3 Likes

You can’t really just get somebody’s ID in the middle of an HRS/pursuit

2 Likes

uh no bad idea

2 Likes

isnt OOJ a court charge only

2 Likes

idk might be, it’s what danny told me to charge them with as I ended up DMing him asking if their was any legislation or court cases in regards to this

2 Likes

yes it is lmao

2 Likes

It is not:

“The Executive Branch shall enforce this statute through the appropriate agencies alongside the enforcement by the Judicial Branch of the State of Firestone.”

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

2 Likes