LEO's shooting VA'ers in a Pursuit (Unarmed VA'er)

Indeed which is why i was confused as to why you copied and pasted the definition from the us legal definition thingy

4 Likes

indeed it sucks for criminals but most of the time desyncing wont get them shot at in a pursuit, most of the tac units on pursuits only open fire if we believe or have confirmation the suspect is armed or a dangerous threat in any way to to the public

6 Likes

I agree that LEOs should never run in front of a car to bait them into ramming them, however, I think if a suspect is committing vehicular assault in the duration of a pursuit, then lethal force is justified. Iā€™m not talking about LEOs driving in front and getting desynced. I mean when criminals clearly RAM into LEOs either to obstruct them or push them in an attempt to escape.

5 Likes

debatable

4 Likes

This post is about if its during a pursuit but okā€¦

4 Likes

It really depends, did they hit the officers vehicle or the officer, what was the intent, there is a lot of questions, and honestly, as an LEO myself, itā€™s really down to instinct, when Iā€™m in pursuit and I think you are trying to ram me, Iā€™m going to open fire.

3 Likes

lol no

3 Likes

Oops sorry for the vagueness itā€™s directed towards the officerā€™s vehicle not the officer itself. Intent was due to heat of the moment

3 Likes

To answer your question, VA itself is defined as ā€œthe act of intentionally (or through clear and extreme disregard for traffic law) utilizing a vehicle to strike a pedestrian, another vehicle, or someone elseā€™s property.ā€ so while legally an officer could say that there was a threat to their life (or serious bodily harm) and open fire, itā€™s not really recommended. POST has started to issue more stringent guidelines in regards to opening fire as a good amount of officers completely disregard crossfire, and this would be a clear case of that.

In regards to the legality, that would be up to the courts and the AG, but from what Iā€™ve read (I am not a lawyer, rather just a LEO) I could see it as going either way.

3 Likes

Usually VA happens to a large scene, or a large group of people so warranted

idk if Iā€™m late but if I am sorry

2 Likes

shooting to disable a vaā€™ers car is the counter to bunch of these random ramming crown vics

3 Likes

Iā€™m not sure who specifically said it however I know that if an LEO jumps in front of a car to get LFA, they will be prosecuted for SDM or FDM if they carry out with shooting the driver.

3 Likes

it is not legal to jump infront of a car to shoot it for va - however if you are in the road and they have ample and a realistic time to stop/move and still hit you you can shoot them. Just stand stationary in the road and wait for them to ram you and this whole situation is avoided

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.