If you don't want to join SCFD - why?

Just out of curiosity, for people who do not want to join scfd, why? Please select all that apply.

• Maxed out on secondaries
  • Generally not interested in fire/ems RP
  • Don’t want to go through FFA
  • Maxed out on primaries and want to get promoted
  • Other (please specify)

0 voters

4 Likes

scfd would be so cool if i had the energy to complete fireman post

4 Likes

im already done FFA for both the fire side and EMS side- here’s the deal

FFA isn’t boring. People see it that way, but its actually pretty damn interactive.

Anywho, I feel this has commonly been said among the community in the past, but infighting among members and I haven’t heard any change.

9 Likes

Former SCFD firefighter and public relations officer here.

Under swag, SCFD was a family. It was the most fun I’ve ever had in firestone. We had active staff, regular trainings, activities, and mass shifts for all of us to participate in. We had things to look forward to, we had a lenient and understanding command/high command and a competent and dedicated staff team.

idk what exactly happened but zip really ruined it for me. zip ruined every aspect of SCFD that I personally found enjoyment in. he was such a stickler on rules and make bullshit procedures/policies. he also violated like 100 peoples rights and generally made scfd a dreadful workplace. that’s when I realized it had been my time to leave the fire/ems scene and start my LEO career.

12 Likes

FFA isn’t boring and it definitely is interactive, but it doesn’t mean it’s a smooth process.

3 Likes

if the person has more then 1 brain cell and reads the doc ahead of time, its pretty smooth.

unless they changed from doc instruction, then idk

3 Likes

It’s not all about understanding curriculum.

3 Likes

thats basically excactly what fire and ems is

its honestly just knowing how to read… i can basically copy and paste procedure word for word in county.

4 Likes

What I’m trying to tell you is that there are more reasons to not want to go through FFA than just whether or not you’ll be able to understand information or be bored by it. There are possibly other internal issues.

4 Likes

im aware, i was just talking abt the curric

(tho as far as I know, FFA doesn’t have internal issues… scfd on the other hand… well.)

3 Likes

If you have an issue with ffa then please speak up. It is not my issue that people don’t find it amusing and that the staff is “inactive”. Recruits need to uphold their part too not just staff.

5 Likes

FFA Tier 2

3 Likes

So if SCFD hosted more internal events such as mass shifts etc, would this make you consider rejoining?

4 Likes

did… did you read what he said abt zip??

he was such a stickler on rules and make bullshit procedures/policies. he also violated like 100 peoples rights and generally made scfd a dreadful workplace.

he said nothing abt activities and events

3 Likes

I’ve recently submitted my final exam for fire, I agree completely. I think part of it is that people expect FFA to be like POST and don’t want to go through as much stuff for FFA as they did for POST. I had no issues getting tiers completed etc and when I did EMT-P my instructors were very patient with me when I struggled with certain parts and helped me get the hang of it. It’s interactive and stuff, don’t really see what’s not to like.

3 Likes

I did read what he said, but zip isn’t here anymore so I doubt zip would be a significant factor pushing him away from the department. I wasn’t around when zip was but I’m fairly sure when the current chief took over he rewrote all the SOGs so bullshit policies aren’t really an issue either. He still mentioned that under swagger there were lots of trainings, events and mass shifts as a positive thing. Currently, SCFD don’t do lots of trainings or mass shifts (they do happen but not that often) so I’m wondering if these happened a lot then it would attract him back.

4 Likes

Former firefighter here;

When I joined SCFD I had the intention to just be a normal run of the mill firefighter; I’d go on team, hop in the back of engine when we get a call and when we get on scenes do the firefighter work and go RTB when we’re done. I personally don’t like medical RP, but I understood that (in the vision I had of the job) there would be a bit of it, but it’d be mostly handled by paramedics.

Though in reality; Even as a fresh rookie I was expected to do things like scene command (something which I honestly don’t like to do… I’m a probie, not a lieutenant…) and when I did go on duty that there were guidelines that ambo’s had a priority to be staffed over engines. So not only did I have to do work I was not as experienced in as I’d had liked, I’d also had to run RP’s I didn’t enjoy.

The combination of all of this just made me unbelievably unmotivated in the job and I started to just lost intrest and left after my required 30 days were up. Now. Don’t get me wrong by saying unmotivated. I loved the time I had there, along with the people. No bad word about them. It just came down to the expectations not lining up with reality for me.

4 Likes

nah I gotta keep it real with you G its the same still :joy: there’s no like… fun left. and I know fun sometimes means fucking around once in a while but when its so strict, no one wants to stay.

why do you think SCFD and FSP both struggle with low numbers…?

6 Likes

If Zip didn’t want to run SCFD like it was the LAFD and had any clue of what he was doing, SCFD may have been a little better. Zep and Aes are doing a good job of improving it.
Overall, the fire and EMS community in Firestone is hella toxic

2 Likes

How’s it toxic?

3 Likes