Firestone's Legal Community: A Sickness Unto Death

Fully agree with this post. Something needs to be done in order to secure the future of Firestone as a whole. A lot of people don’t really care about the judiciary, and some won’t see the current issues facing the judiciary as something that matters, nor as something that will impact the entire state, however, Mayflower is a prime example of what happens when the judiciary dies.

I don’t think that would really encourage anyone to join/stay, and even then I’d argue that we have already reduced a lot of the paperwork required (for example, we basically don’t do briefs in the supreme court anymore). Also some people enjoy the paperwork to an extent cough me

It’s nice when they are, but a lot of the time it’s a pain to arrange a time that’s good for everyone. That and cases can take several hours if in-game.

My administration has attempted this, through small jobs like the CPD’s Secretary, the Bureau of Justice Statistics (responsible for the upkeep of department archives). We have further tried a paralegal program, which ran for three or so months this summer, however this didn’t turn out too well as there aren’t that many tasks that can be done by non-BCA staff, or at least nothing that would personally inspire me to pursue a career (who wants to spend their time as a paralegal updating a big spreadsheet with case data?).

The Prominence College of Law exists, however it is difficult to keep a law school running as eventually staff will lose motivation. This remains something that I aim to look into and tackle, along with the Board of Legal Examiners and Ethics, but it may take some time (and may never be as successful as we may want it).

That would be the Judicial Mentorship Program, which fell into a bit of a bad state after the last CJ. As far as I’m aware, it has been revived under CJ thek, and mock trials are happening (the mock trial for hecxtro was taking place over discord last week but that’s been paused for a few days so).

5 Likes

Ah okay thank you for the response. I’m hoping that somehow helps you guys and girls out, fingers crossed.

2 Likes

It’s moving along, but it’s gonna give us maybe two more DCJs. One AJSC wants to leave, and I’m pretty sure our only current DCJ wants to leave. So while it’s doing something it’s too little too late.

2 Likes

It will help, however more bar certified individuals overall are needed for the JMP to have much of an impact.

1 Like

All I’m gonna say is expungements should not have a 2 and a half month processing time

1 Like

good boy.

Seeing as I’ve been a lawyer and working the DOJ for coming up on a year now, I have a simple answer to this question.

Nothing.

I joined the legal community out of legal interest and quite frankly, my spite for employers in the FS system who decided to neglect my rights in several cases (of which I’ve sued basically every possible department with the exclusion of DHS, FBI and FNG now on behalf of others rights being violated) because I wanted to be able to DO SOMETHING about our problems.

Someone who isn’t interested already or incentivized through situations like mine won’t be incentivized by anything physically acceptable in game to do the mass amounts of paperwork and arguing, let alone becoming a judicial official.

The legal community has Excactly what you said: a sickness. And it’s a terminal, incurable one. And unless fed steps in after (terrible idea btw), both the legal and community at large collapses.

excuse caps and grammar etc errors I wrote this on mobile

8 Likes

make government positions secondary so more people are willing to get involved in it

literally keeping certain positions like justices and legislators primary is just keeping people away cause lets face it who wants to leave the fbi or fsp or some shit to become a judge or to write bills for a few months

7 Likes

The god of Law has spoken

Who shall heed his call?

2 Likes

its coz a sickness unto death

2 Likes

One of the previous responses referenced the Mayflower system of progressing through the ranks in what should ostensibly be PCOL (Prominence College Of Law). The only issue is, it has been a private entity from inception to now, I propose having PCOL become a Judicial POST.

Not in the sense that you host massive 30 ~ 50 students in one classroom to go over Ro-law, but members of the public can freely signup to PCOL and do not have to pass a minimum test to get in. From there, you simply start as a student, classes are run on different topics (Ranging from understanding the basics of the judiciary, and courtroom processes, to being able to question and interpret responses from lay and expert witnesses), with each class having an assigned topic test. Each test then checks off a bit of the learning for the student, and once all topics (or points on the syllabus) are checked off, those students may sit the bar exam.

This means that you can coach students, bring in more individuals, and help generate a wider pool of bar certified individuals in FS. From there they may go onto become a Public Defender, State Attorney, Justice, etc. or they can simply take their accreditation and simply have that knowledge. Much like an EMT-B/P cert for LEOs. I realise the comparison is not the best, but it works in regards to Firestone, it is a Cops & Robbers community, but medical certifications still get used widely, as such a bar cert should assist in LEOs roles. Be it through an increased understanding in the law and precedents set, or to even aid in POST training (I haven’t been through POST in a while but assuming one tier is legal training, those holding a bar cert may jump to the next tier of training).

To come back to my original point, a judicial POST would be a training program run by the DOJ, for aspiring members of the public to gain a better understanding of the FS legal system. It brings a new role to DOJ, and gives better incentive for developers to include proper courthouses and chambers within V2/V3 as a way for students to practically learn and see how their education can be applied. While the DOJ in real life may not offer this type of education, this is a game, bending some parts to make it work better is a fact of life (Much akin to FDOA now having Pilots, while the real DOA would simply license pilots).

5 Likes

actually pcol and bar exam is run by blee, which is technically and legally separate to the DOJ
(even though the AG chairs it and the DAG vice-chairs it)

5 Likes

Enter me! I am currently the lead archivist and the head of Bureau of Justice Statistics. So yeah, basically my job.

DOJ wouldn’t say no to a car either :eyes:

1 Like

idk i dont exactly wanna be blasting “im basically a state sponsored snitch for the Department of justice” on my car and be shot for it

2 Likes

hey you’re not the snitch, you’re the one who handles the snitches

if we’re talking about justice cars, in NUSA the DOJ get a team and a car in basically all of the nusa games (excluding rw)

2 Likes

That’s certainly something to consider.

1 Like

How do you become a judge if you have a BAR cert? I may have an idea that can be considered but I would need to know how to become a judge or any other judiciary positions that I am not aware of possibly

1 Like

Caleb as a judge :skull:

1 Like

Like I said I have no interest in judiciary silly man

2 Likes

bar is not an abbreviation and is not capitalised – that is an error in the application center and anyone who proliferates it should be shot

3 Likes