EO#55 poll

For those unaware, EO#55 (and PSD#006) requires uniformed officers (so excluding tactical units and FNG) to have their name showing at all times.

Initially, this was an incredibly contentious issue, but now that the matter has calmed down and everyone has adjusted to setting their name to showing, I am curious if there is still such viscious divide over this.

Arguments for EO#55:

• Accountability
  • Removes the need for name and badge
  • Makes catching impersonators easier

Arguments against EO#55:

• Can make targetting LEOs easier
  • Puts LEOs under a ‘magnifying glass’ (aka minor violations will get them disciplined)

Do you agree with the concept/idea of EO#55?
  • Yes
  • No
  • No opinion
  • Abstain

0 voters

Do you believe EO#55/PSD#006 should be withdrawn?
  • Yes
  • No
  • No opinion
  • Abstain

0 voters

5 Likes

It shouldn’t be an issue for you if you don’t mess around on duty. This really doesn’t affect you that badly. For V3 it will force show your username, so why does it matter so much?

16 Likes

If you have your name showing and someone requests you for your name and badge you should arrest them for being illegally dumb and illegally blind.

21 Likes

i have actually started to like eo55, keep it!

6 Likes

my argument for removing it is simple: it forces people to incriminate themselfs (courts obviously havn’t ruled on this)

8 Likes

file a writ i wanna see that case

4 Likes

I personally haven’t really seen people getting disciplined or reported more for minor incidents since EO 55 has been put into effect

8 Likes

dont show ur name = ur not violating the EO

5 Likes

or maybe, don’t break laws/policies on team and you wouldn’t have this problem in the first place??

thats like saying “I’m not going to identify myself to others if they ask for my name & badge because I do not want to incriminate myself”

10 Likes

criminals should show name as well then. if its easier to incriminate leo’s it should be easier to incriminate, you know criminals

9 Likes

I really think the exemption for tactical units should be the only thing - when undergoing operations or engaging with actually dangerous criminals, there is a sense to hiding your identity. I don’t see a reason for a patrol officer to have their name hidden, but when engaging with an organized gang that targets people by name, it makes some sense. Also for undercover operations - if you have your name showing it just goes out the window entirely.

4 Likes

Tactical operatives and those undercover are not required to have their names showing when they’re participating in an operation

6 Likes

yeah i know that’s what I said

3 Likes

you’re a LEO employed to a government position, criminals aren’t employed to said departments.

6 Likes

so what, if u want to make it fair, everyone should show name

4 Likes

This is not a matter of fairness, if this was about fairness everything would get nerfed lol

you’re a public law enforcement officer, you’d have your badge number showing but in the case of V2, you don’t have a badge number SO you’re forced to show your name.

DoC has had no problem with this when this was mandated like a year beforehand, yet every other department complains

10 Likes

most irl cops have some sort of ID on their uniform, e.g. UK officers have a sholder patch with their badge number on it, US riot gear has the officer ID no. printed in big text, etc.

irl citizens and criminals do not walk around with signs that have their license number on it

irl photos

disclaimer i’m neutral on the issue of eo#55 im just stating a reasonable fact

6 Likes

When you make statements like this Chris it makes me concerned you can practice law.

13 Likes

his old SC opinions can be fun reads sometimes im not gonna lie (no offence chris they’re just funny)

6 Likes

Here’s my opinion on it:

Either make everyone show name or make nobody have to show name. It’s annoying when patrol units have to show names but tactical units get to say “oh well we’re doing classified work so they can’t see our name” and subsequently they’re not held accountable for their actions. The only exemption should be undercover FBI units and SS.

Why should SWAT/CRT/SERT be exempt from showing name? They’re not undercover anyways and anyone can identify them as a LEO…?

10 Likes