EMT poll

or join FFA!!

1 Like

I tried, I told, I still didnā€™t understand.

1 Like

If what yā€™all say is true that the FS Medical Community is toxic and calling the non expert calling them dumb it makes me want to think twice about signing up now, SCFD no doubt in my mind is the soul purpose of Firestone, we got like
several law enforcement agencies (SCSO, FSP, DHS, FNG - MP, FCG, DOC, FBI, & soon FPS (Park Service)),
several public services (DOT, DPW, DOBW, DOCM),
and 1 Fire & Rescue service which is SCFD along with DOH. Now if I was to change the state is how I would do my metropolitan city does which is that the hospital is in charge of ambulance and I mean all ambulance, and I mean all the FD in my city & county and weā€™ll basically all of North Alabama and 2 Southern Tennessee counties has no ambulance, only HEMSI (a ambulance division of the hospital) owns all the ambulances, how it works? HEMSI has there own station just like FD has its own station like station #11 and etc.
Now yes FD can still help out EMS related calls but I think maybe we can have DOH deals with medical calls and SCFD deals with fire calls and only fire calls, maybe give them First Aid, CPR, AED certified but they donā€™t need to be trained in paramedic skills set.
So basically to clear what I said: FFA deals w/ Fire, No EMT-B/EMT-P
FMA teaches the EMT B & P so we donā€™t have 2 academy teaching 2 different things and getting in each other by the neck on how it really should work. Please I just want to fight fires and not deal with a ā€œbroken neckā€

1 Like

Itā€™s an idea, but I bet thereā€™d be a ton of pushback. That may be how it is where you live, but many other places in the country and the world have it the same way Firestone does of the Fire Departments sharing in EMS calls.

1 Like

Them letā€™s push this idea to fed, legislation, congress, governor, idk something politics and dev support I want my ideas to become reality like DHS fuse with FSP

1 Like

Keeping it under FFA makes it so itā€™s standardized and everyoneā€™s learning literally the same exact base stuff. Thereā€™s 0 room for gaps in knowledge. When FMA taught EMT classes you had EMTs that were being taught different things, even though they both abided by the scope of practice.

what??? scfd is allowed to train their employees lmao this makes no sense. if youā€™re referring to wanting scfa back, thatā€™s a hard no. scfa did not work. youā€™re giving way too much responsibility on TD, let them focus on continued education and keeping firefighters and paramedics up to date.

thereā€™s a reason why pretty much every paid firefighter is an EMT (or at least EMR) in real life. itā€™s actually leaning to firefighters becoming more and more medically trained. if you donā€™t want to deal with emergency medicine firefighting isnā€™t for you

4 Likes

Increased incompetency due to people constantly using it and cntrl+f every callout they get rather than reading it and practicing it and getting the gist of it.

1 Like

The whole point of a document should be that you can reference it. You should have most of it memorized and understood on your own, but itā€™s Roblox. You canā€™t raise the unfair standard that everyone will have everything down-to-a-t immediately after the academy. Incompetency would be worse if people didnā€™t have any ability to look back on a series of organized and up-to-date notes which can be quickly-accessed, which screenshots of a whiteboard canā€™t provide.

3 Likes

I was in a old FFA class (no idea what number, but weā€™re over a year ago now) and it worked very wellā€¦ there was good documents that went into detail about how to do everything and it was easily understandable.

EMT-B is also very simpleā€¦ its just a few things like ABCs and airways and splinting and like 3 medications.

3 Likes

This

I look back at the documents and other trello boards all the time, even though Iā€™ve been certified for a year+ now. Its a great way to make sure your doing things right without wasting too much time looking through your own clustered notes.

4 Likes

Not going after FFA at all, they do an amazing job with everything but when I was in it, but I learned jack shit from the actual sessions and I googled most of what I learned and put it into my own doc where I could easily find everything I may need to refer to from time to time. I didnā€™t actually get the knowledge I have until I joined DOH and SCFD and got to use it hands on in county. Took me 4 months to get off of notes even though I was shifting roughly 10 hours per week.
On medical calls, I sometimes clash with people from earlier classes or from FMA because they have learned a different way so the knowledge we have and the way weā€™re taught is different. Also, SCFD taught differently from what I had learned in FFA when I was there (not sure if still the same case).

From what Iā€™ve been seeing, Crosslay has been attempting to improve FFA and its teaching methods but there will always be some things that are out of his or FFAā€™s control.

3 Likes

I can provide my input (something I already gave to the Deputy Director of FFA) on being a current enrollee in FFA.

Being a student, we all understand that the trainings will take a while, but giving us just a document means that a lot of us (including me which learn poorly over a document) struggled to complete the course efficiently. Often times I asked for help from my instructor, and when possible I did 1 on 1 trainings so I could sit down and properly learn the material.

I myself are trained in First Aid in real life, beyond just the CPR stuff, so I am somewhat medically competent, although being thrown a 40-page document and being told to learn it, and then going to a training for 3 hours just being expected to know how to manage every single incident that you come across is just not practical. Iā€™d like to thank @AntonioVernaceMD for being willing to sit down with me and give me more material so I could actually learn properly.

Furthermore, itā€™s not just the medical section, this is plaguing also the fire section of the community and while I do this purely for fun, having the classroom time, or actual demonstrations in front of recruits besides just a document or an irl video would be helpful to a lot of us.

Again, Iā€™m not slamming FFA or the Medical Staff which made all of the documents or curriculum, I completely understand how much effort gets put into it, and how difficult it is to get it changed, I just hope that people are willing to be more open to help the recruits, especially when some feel dumb for asking questions just based on experience.

4 Likes

One thing goes in the FF/EMS community and that is nobody likes or wants change. Everyone is stuck in the ā€œitā€™s not broken, so why fix itā€ mindset. We will never know if any different teaching styles will work unless we try it.

2 Likes

Youā€™re missing the point of my response. Is it okay to reference back to, yeah. The point where it becomes an issue is when youā€™re in SCFD and your whole knowledge about everything you were taught hits the fan and you keep jumping between documents trying to follow the order of assessments and determine if someone has a trauma case or a medical case.

1 Like

The same situation could be worse with other teaching methods.

1 Like

Youā€™re not understanding. Nobody will ever know how well something works unless itā€™s being tried. EMTā€™s should never be going going back to our documents for all the equipment or techniques that is being used 24/7. Weā€™re fine when people use it to refer back to sections not used in the field as much such as cpap. Things such as FF Rehabilitation, and IV access are all things we utilize everyday. Firefighters also shouldnā€™t be constantly going back to their documents when in the field. The time that you take going through the documents has a dramatic effect on the patients. Yeah you wont learn everything in a 1-3 hour tier but youā€™ll learn quite a lot.