DPS | Name and Badge Opinion

The Department of Public Safety
Office of the Secretary

08/04/2022

Name & Badge opinion poll

With the recent amendment to the constitution, not requiring officers to provide identification unless required by department policy (or other statutes that may be introduced in the future), we have decided to create this poll.

Do you believe identification should be required for department employees?
  • Yes
  • No

0 voters

If you answered yes:

Do you believe the name and badge process is beneficial?
  • Yes
  • No

0 voters

Do you believe identification should be required for solely law enforcement officers?
  • Yes
  • No

0 voters

Do you believe identification should be required for public employees & law enforcement officers?
  • Yes
  • No

0 voters

Do you believe employees should have to provide name and badge whilst they have their in-game name visible?
  • Yes
  • No

0 voters

Law enforcement officers refer to individuals serving in police departments, state patrol, and the sheriff’s office.

Public employees refers to individuals serving in transportation & public works.

Any further discussion can be done within this forum post. Any private matters should be sent to the Department of Public Safety administration.

Disclaimer: This poll in no way indicates any actions being guaranteed by the Department of Public Safety. This is simply to gather data.

2 Likes

I strongly believe that law enforcement and public employees (government employees as a whole) should be required to provide means to identify themselves if requested/show name. If you have someone patrolling the streets who has the ability to detain, search, and arrest someone, and who is armed with a gun, you would want to know who they are. For public employees and as a general rule of thumb, if you’re driving a government vehicle, you represent the government.

The ONLY exceptions I’d make to this are:

-If law enforcement/PE is in a situation where providing their name is not possible due to an emergency situation;

-If, by providing their name, they could put lives at risk (FBI undercover, etc)

(There’s probably another exception I’m forgetting)

I frankly don’t see why not.

6 Likes

I just want to point out that legislation which matches this poll’s results has been introduced and has already passed the House of Representatives. The Senate has put the bill on hold.

Edit: Correction, this bill in fact requires showing name (akin to EO 55) and name and badge for those exempt from showing name (FBI, tactical units).

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.