Do you think POST legal training was enough?

Honestly, I feel what I received in POST satisfied what I use in the field. If you actually use your brain a little bit and think about things, you aren’t gonna have to end up pulling some 3 year old SC case out from somewhere just to cover yourself. In my 13 months of being a LEO across 2 different departments, not once did I need to go find a law or supreme court ruling to justify myself. But everyone is different, so to each their own.

2 Likes

lol i forgot about it the minute i finished the exam

I mean, you could of taken up with POST Administration and I’m pretty sure they’ll be glad to help you with that issue rather then just spelling the problem out on the forums.

They are there to teach the basic of law not the whole book of law but also, if you think that it could of been better then reach out to POST Administration and suggest it as well, explain how it could be better in other words, what needs to be improve upon.

just read the criminal code charges and traffic code before charging/fining

In my point of view, officers should have a good understanding on what constitutes probable cause and reasonable suspicion. If an officer can differentiate the two, accompanied with a good understanding of fundamental constitutional rights, I don’t expect them to run into legal issues throughout their law enforcement career.

Also, good discretion comes a long way too in Firestone seeing how a lot of statutes are based upon reasonability rather than strict criteria.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.