Adding numbers to all helicopter landing pads

, ,

Most of the helicopter landing pads in the county have no clear numbering to them. Dep. of Aviation. trello’s and Discords also contain no written explanation about which pad is which number, yet we need to know what pad we want to land/take off from to do the proper procedures as set by the same Dep. of Aviation.

Simple idea; Just add a number to the top left/right corners of all landing pads so you can see which pad is which in an instant.

(If it turns out there actually is a document saying which is which, I’d happily take that too.)

6 Likes

what about left pad, right pad, and middle pad? you wouldn’t have to remember these whereas you’d have to remember the numbers

1 Like

there’s more than just doa pads that’s what he’s referring to

1 Like

Left and right pads change depending on the perspective you are flying at. Thats why numbers are the best.

4 Likes

Yes, as a newly certified RPL Pilot, I can understand the struggle. I support this idea.

1 Like

As an ASU pilot, I’ve never actually considered which is LP1, LP2, and LP3. In ASU we always look at the steps going upward to decide which is LP1, LP2, or LP3. So I’d say from looking towards the steps up it would be:
Right - LP1
Middle - LP2
Left - LP3

If you are in doubt of which one to land on, just go for the middle one which is almost always going to be LP2.

All of what I say could be completely wrong, I rarely land at an FDOA Heliport so I’d contact Co55ie or Aplayer and they could probably give an accurate answer.

1 Like

Normally in an aviation setting at which we would have multiple helipads next to each other (for example how FSP would do it) and numbers aren’t assigned (the FAA doesn’t require numbers on any helipads [1]) we’d take it based off the location of the helipad based off north, so east/west/north/south. Although this doesn’t always work out great, hence some heliports adding numbers to the corners.

Also know that the numbers in the center of the helipads are not a unique identifier at a heliport, it actually means the weight limit of the pad

The best solution is the one that was referenced before, which was just putting a number in the corner which would be a unique identifier at the specific field.

[1] - https://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/media/Advisory_Circular/150_5390_2c.pdf

Referencing should be changed to N/E/S/W and Center, would be more logical

2 Likes

tell the faa

getting a rotorcraft sucks already

who certified you

Department of Aviation: Charts - Departments - State of Firestone Forums :roll_eyes::roll_eyes::roll_eyes:

FNG is no longer accurate so you’re just going to have to COPE

2 Likes