A Thread on the Department of Public Safety

I’m going to say this before I even start with anything else… if you’ve seen the words “Department and Public Safety” and are only here to berate the department for all it’s worth, politely… beat it.

As most of you probably know, between leadership changes comes department changes and with the resignation of our former Secretary, Hecxtro (god bless you good sir), recently, we want to capitalise and show our willingness for change.

There are a couple of ideas that we’ve been floating around recently, specifically those that might improve the ever-persistent bias that is supposedly present in investigations even now… but we’d like to hear what you have to say too. This is your time to constructively criticise and float your ideas to us.

I know people have very strong opinions on the department and have a very prominent distaste of what we do but we’re people too, we try our best to iron out the kinks, we have a job to do.

With your help, not your bitterness, we can make change happen and continue to mould the department into the investigative body it should only ever have been.

We don’t want to regulate the ins and outs of our subordinate departments. We aren’t like some of the past administrations. We’re open to sensible deregulation, we’re open to constructive criticism.

Please voice any criticism, float any ideas or ask any questions you may have, below.

Thanks huns x

4 Likes

is this just you making yourself look good in a bid for secretary

8 Likes

I knew that was going to be brought up but no, we’re just trying to make improvements, we’ve been doing it for the last few weeks.

It has nothing to do with the fact that we have no Secretary. I have my opinions on it but I know Float will choose whomever he sees fit!

Marin, Kam and I are just looking to improve the dept.

2 Likes

auto leave the man be. smh

3 Likes

is she wrong though :eyes:

This seems like a run for Secretary. People voice their concerns on this department 24/7, a forum post dedicated to such isn’t really necessary. The fundamental opinion on the department is that no one likes or supports it whatsoever because of its history of negligence and generally speaking, no one wants to be overseen whatsoever. No department employee in the entire State of Firestone likes the thought of having someone watch over their shoulder and hold them accountable, and they certainly don’t like the thought of having any more bosses than they already have.

But since you asked, here’s my take;

No matter what you change or think you’re going to change, no one is going to ever like or support the Department of Public Safety, it will always be viewed as the necessary evil for the sake of accountability. It’s always going to be the disliked department in the state. The people who choose to be in the department, are going to have to come to terms with that, suck it up, and continue to do their job knowing that no departmental staff likes them. It sucks and it’s really tragic but that’s just how it is, unfortunately.

12 Likes

Well, since you ask, here is my view/opinion:

I understand that there must be a DPS to hold people accountable because I know by a fact that every department from time to time does some ridiculous crap, but at the same time, DPS sometimes does unreasonable stuff, dumb policies and more. But sometimes those policies are necesarry, but even if you can find a good balance with the policies then come the investigations since there is things that are just over the top and that if anything it could have been resolved in 30 mins, but instead takes 3-5 days.

So basically you need to find a good balance between ensuring nobody does something way to stupid (since its a game and we sometimes try to have fun) and at the same time not overstepping with policies and procedures.

4 Likes

Yeah, that’s true but rather than voicing them to us, the department’s administration, they voice their opinions in a public chat whilst the department is being berated for all it’s worth. We aren’t going to sit and scroll through it for an hour only to find “dps is bias” or “dps is shit”.

That’s the point of this thread, so if people have any criticism of the department that isn’t simply berating us for 20 minutes, we can see it, discuss it in good length and find a solution.

Yep. It’s similar to what I said in my main post to this thread and it’s something that’ll never change because humans don’t like being told what they can and cannot do, and be held accountable for their actions.

Are you able to expand on your point here and maybe provide some examples of what you’re trying to get at?

This can sometimes be the case because we have to contact the individuals involved and at times, they don’t respond for a day or longer. It can also be because the investigator is dragging their feet but we try to stay on top of that.

4 Likes

a lot of dps staff don’t know what they’re doing and can’t make nuanced or consistent judgements

dps should only step in when departments fail to appropriately handle matters. hec requiring all complaints go through dps was a major misstep as departments are usually in a better position to make appropriate decisions.

5 Likes

wrote a paragraph… deleted it because of this lol

all ill say is i honestly havent been to say anyhting positive abt them for a while

4 Likes

then have departments create their own respective policies and rollback PSDs.

DPS needs legal training. desperately. I’ve gotten a ungodly amount of cases where theyve been overturned or dismissed because the legal basis that a investigator has tried to push wasn’t reliable. (Starting way back when I wasnt even a lawyer… it was so bad that I knew they were violating basic rights)

Bias… well. that cant really be fixed. People have vendettas in this state. A lot of people. It’ll happen, even if you don’t have people investigate their own department.

Id gladly be willing to offer legal services to DPS if the administration would like.

oh and some of them have had ego issues in the past which cause them to blatantly push things that are just pure shit. but thats just a people hired issue.

4 Likes

Shit bid considering he isn’t bar certified and it’s pretty clear that Float wants a BCA leading the joint

3 Likes

Screenshot_6

These 4 directives are the only the department has in relation to our subordinate departments and their purpose is only to outline our investigative procedures and how any reprimand can be appealed.

What more do you want us to roll back?

This I can most definitely agree with, it’s well known that some investigators have proceeded to do things in the past and even recently that violate the law or come very close to it.

I’ll bash heads with Marin and Kam to find a sort of solution to that.

2 Likes

I’m in no way bidding for the position of Secretary by posting this. As you even said yourself, I don’t have a bar certification so I wouldn’t even be considered to begin with anyway. I don’t understand why it has to be assumed by certain individuals that I am, but hey ho, it’s Firestone, everyone thinks they know the best and are ultimately right.

If you want to talk about bidding, this thread is a bid to hear criticism and discuss that criticism, not bid for a position that’ll probably be chosen months down the line and be given to someone that’s never been in the department as the past has shown.

3 Likes

down with DPS! up with department of education

1 Like

have departments handle first line complaints instead of everything going through the clusterfuck that is dps

4 Likes

This is actually a really good response.
Become a politician, I think you’d do somewhat well.

6 Likes

I can’t tell if you’re being sarcastic or not lol

2 Likes

lol it actually is a good response. Clear, well structured, and I like the

bit.

4 Likes

You see, we’re always looking to improve our directives, however, when it comes to our directive regarding the uniform investigations system, it gets a little tricky. We could easily say, yeah, the subordinate departments can investigate “first line” complaints but then we get to the question of what is considered a “first line” complaint? Everyone has a differing opinion when it comes to that.

I could say a “first line” complaint is anything to do with misconduct whilst operating a vehicle, professionalism or anything with very clear-cut proof of identification. In contrast, you could say it’s anything to do with any type of misconduct, any level of proof of identification, with investigation.

However, a small number of people have come to me previously about said directive and it has now been brought up with my peers in the department.

2 Likes

Well then thanks Mr Wolf, sir

4 Likes