A New Constitution?

Do we really need a new Constitution?

In all aspects, we can agree that our constitution is based off the US Constitution itself. However, I do not see the need to reform it in any way. Regarding the recent Amendment of Article I of the Constitution, I feel as if it’s a rewrite of our current Article I with additional things added, in this case I really think that a complete rewrite of it was unnecessary.

Another fact is, that this new constitution will most likely already have most of our current things already listed. It’d just have tiny little new things, which can simply be added through amendments, but Congress, instead wants to create a completely new one? Seems like they just want to make it look like they’re doing more unnecessarily in order to cover a facade. Now I understand, this Constitution has been in the works for several months, probably even one to two years. However, here’s the thing, it really hasn’t been done, and nothing has been pushing the convention to accelerate it until now. Why? Why now is the question.

I request that someone from Congress please answer these questions, because right now, it only seems to me that you are attempting to do more in order to cover the work that you’re actually doing.

4 Likes

Hi Asian.

I’m glad to see there is some feedback on the new constitution and I am here to address some of your concerns:

“I feel as if it’s a rewrite of our current Article I with additional things added” - large portions of the amended C.I were indeed based on the old constitution, as it established an effective form of governance. However, there were many pointless and overlapping sections within this which a series of (more) amendments would have only acted as a bandaid for a much larger problem. Therefore, it was necessary to do a complete rewrite to remove these problems and make the article more streamlined.

“Seems like they just want to make it look like they’re doing more unnecessarily in order to cover a facade” - my only job is to preside in Congress, which I do regularly, so doing this project is something that no one expects me to do. With other members of Congress, they do their regular jobs as well so this is no facade, but additional work they are putting in.

“Now I understand, this Constitution has been in the works for several months, probably even one to two years.” - years is a very heavy exaggeration, it has been about five months. Within these five months, there was a platform for citizens to make suggestions, multiple drafts, revisions, and debates made over the content of the constitution.

“Why? Why now is the question.” - because we didn’t want to put out some half-arsed document and it has generally taken this long for Congress to establish a consensus on the content of the article.

“because right now, it only seems to me that you are attempting to do more in order to cover the work that you’re actually doing.” - addressed this in point two, no one expected us to do this and in the time it has taken to do this, other Congressional duties have been furfiled.

In conclusion, this new amendment has made Article I more streamlined, easier to read, shortened, more competitive, and generally better as opposed to the old version, while keeping to the original meaning of said article.

I hope this addresses any concerns you may have, you are of course welcome to reply with any more questions or concerns.

Speaker FIoatmanjason

14 Likes

What’s most troubling is that they are jeopardizing any potential standing Supreme Court precedent by just scrapping this entire document, and it decreases the value of the Constitution. While you were at it, why didn’t you establish the Constitution on a Trello alike to the Criminal Code? If you’re going to do something, at least get it done properly in one go…

5 Likes

“What’s most troubling is that they are jeopardizing any potential standing Supreme Court precedent by just scrapping this entire document” - if there was that issue, Skye would have likely said something in the group chat (which you are in by the way and have never said anything in).

“why didn’t you establish the Constitution on a Trello alike to the Criminal Code?” - Trello

“at least get it done properly in one go” - no one, and I mean literally no one, wanted to do the whole thing in one go.

4 Likes

Thats not a legally recognized trello float nor a founder approved one at that

5 Likes

That’s not what I meant. Creating a nonbinding Trello is like plopping up the State Legislature board and saying job is done. Why not create a legally binding Trello to reflect actual changes?

I don’t think I was ever actually informed of this amendment in DMs or anything, and I’m only just reading it.

4 Likes

just realised what kerbal meant thanks

4 Likes

" That’s not what I meant. Creating a nonbinding Trello is like plopping up the State Legislature board and saying job is done. Why not create a legally binding Trello to reflect actual changes?" - oh right I get what you mean now, that is definitely something we can undertake.

“I don’t think I was ever actually informed of this amendment in DMs or anything, and I’m only just reading it.” - not an excuse but we will be more communicative next time.

4 Likes

Ya’ll should implement the county article @1superchris2 and I helped with.

6 Likes

whats a constitution

6 Likes

I think you just summed up about everything I’ve been confused about. Thank you.

5 Likes

the current one is terrible
yes it is necessary to overhaul a document that has mostly seen little significant change in its’ 3 years of existence

6 Likes

With respect to the original writers, I still firmly believe our current constitution is decently faulty and its faultiness has lead to a great deal of problems over the past few years as we evolve as a state. Being Governor when I was and experiencing some of these problems, I can attest to this and say it needs some severe revision or a complete rewrite.

7 Likes

A good analogy for how god awful the FS Constitution is is to imagine if we just went with the original US Constitution and only amended it to slap banaides on fuck ups instead of doing things with actual purpose—that’s us.

5 Likes

youre just fucking stupid, our const is shit

4 Likes

what a smart and sexy man

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

2 Likes