A Bill To Allow Mayors to Serve on their City's Finest

IN THE COUNCIL OF THE STAPLETON COUNTY

OCTOBER 28, 2023

Chief Sponsor(s): Councilman b_aconxv

Co-Sponsor(s): County Councilman jacksthedude1637, County Councilman 1Zaywill5665, County Councilman thedamnfeds, County Councilman ryanwilson747, Redwood Mayor FrostEspresso, Arborfield Mayor FaithFCM, Prominence Mayor SwedishVic, Speaker of the House CanadlanLaw, Esq., Former Governor Soiandiis, Esq., Arborfield Deputy Mayor cixrio, Arborfield City Councilman scincecat20, Concerned Citizen TheGreenLego_Brick, Prominence Deputy Mayor Noobsiance

Author(s): Councilman b_aconxv

A BILL

To allow Mayors to serve on their city’s Police Departments fairly

PREAMBLE: Whereas Council and City Mayors feel that they should not be restricted from serving in their respecive municipality’s Police Department. During my time as a Mayor, I’d used to always host events and wish that I’ve had the opportunity to serve my city by working alongside our officers. Mayor’s have much less of duty compared to other major executive offices in the state like the County Executive and the Governor, and Mayor’s should be able to serve in their respective Police Departments if they wish. Now what makes Mayors more privledged by being able to serve in their departments opposed to higher offices? Governors and County Executives, for example, should be restricted in serving in their Departments because they have a much larger role to play in them. This bill will ensure that if they choose to serve in their police department, it is done through a way that prevents COIs. To add on, most Mayors are invited to their Police Departments after their term.

By virtue of the County Charter of Stapleton County the Council hereby establishes that,

SECTION 1.

For short, this Bill may be cited as “A Bill To Allow Mayors to serve on their City’s finest”

SECTION 2,

Upon passage of this act, this Bill shall go into effect as an Ordinance of the Stapleton County Council upon the completion of the legally required processes.

SECTION 3.

a. ‘A Bill To Prevent COIs inside Municipal Police Departments’ shall be defined as: Trello

b. Redwood shall be defined by Article III, Section IV, Subsection B of the
Stapleton County Charter.

c. Prominence shall be defined by Article III, Section III, Subsection B of the

d. Arborfield shall be defined by Article III, Section V, Subsection B of the

e. A Mayor shall be defined as the Head of the Executive Branch as defined by
Article III, Section I, Subsection C of the Stapleton County Charter.

f. A Deputy Mayor shall be defined by Article III, Section I, Subsection C of the

g. Municipalities shall be defined as Redwood, Prominence, and Arborfield.

SECTION 4.

A Bill to Prevent COIs inside Municipal Police Departments shall be declared null and void.

SECTION 5.

a. A Mayor or Deputy Mayor shall be able to serve in their own municipality’s police force. If they choose to, they must abide by the following restrictions:

i. They may only enter via a publicly announced application opened to the public. Police Departments may not restrict any of these applications only for the Mayors.

ii. They must go through the regular training processes.

iii. If both a Mayor and Deputy Mayor serves in their municipality’s Police Department, they must have an appointed member of their administration that is not employed within that department with complete access to their respective Municipal Police Departments Communications for an unbiased overseeing of that department. A position such as but not limited to a Chief of Staff.

b. Should there be any sort of bias stopping a municipality from taking action against a respective Police Department, reports should be taken to the County District Attorney. The County District Attorney shall have complete access to a Municipal Police Department’s communications upon request. Should there be any findings of concern, they shall report these findings to the County Executive and County Council.

c. The Chief of a municipal police force shall not be authorized to be a Mayor or
Deputy Mayor in any city.

d. Any individual holding the rank of Sergeant or above of any municipal police force shall not be authorized to be the Mayor or Deputy Mayor of that respective municipality.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 1 minute. New replies are no longer allowed.