Thoughts on Department of Public Safety

so recently, DPS has been finding law enforcement officers ‘guilty’ of false arrest, illegal searches, etc and punishing them accordingly.

do you think this is dps job to find people guilty of such or is it the courts?

• DPS should be able to do this.
  • Just leave it to the courts.

0 voters

2 Likes

Called, the Department of “Public Safety”; or try to limit the high actions they can do and let courts have a say and such. I think they should unless things get out of hand. As of right now the current Secretary is doing a lovely job and they should keep doing what they need to do.

5 Likes

(clarification)

I think DPS should have the responsibility of investigating it, but I in no way think that DPS should be finding people “guilty” of charges. Imo they should be forwarding this stuff to the courts in that regard.

3 Likes

Hmmm, @TheMatthew_RBLX can you pull up the document of what you are trying to prove. Also if you could be a little bit more descriptive about your topic please.

Unless you are saying, Courts should find the person guilty than DPS.

2 Likes

DPS can investigate and punish the officer. But jail time, fines, etc. is all left to the courts. Plus the courts are overworked as it is.

3 Likes

Perhaps I should’ve been more specific in the initial forum post. What I was trying to get across was that I think it’s becoming absurd that the Department of Public Safety is investigating LEOs, upon a investigation request being sent in, for charges such as ‘false arrest’.

For example, now-Captain LiamAveryMercado was the subject of a investigation being conducted by DPS on the basis of false arrest. (View card here: https://trello.com/c/6nQmC6Mh/260-lieutenant-liamaverymercado) As a result of the investigation, Liam was found guilty of false arrest and punished accordingly - resulting in a suspension and a demotion.

The aforementioned investigation is one of many conducted by DPS on the basis of false arrest, false citation, etc. These are usually delt with in civil court cases, where both sides get to present a fair argument. Not saying that DPS doesn’t allow both sides to present a fair argument.

It is my personal opinion that DPS should forward these matters to the Courts, rather than investigating it themselves and issuing punishments that can ultimately result in damages to careers, whereas potentially the result would be different should it have been presented before a court of law.

This is not a shit-post on DPS. DPS is being ran wonderfully under tony and should continue to do so. This is just something I’ve noticed that I thought I would get other peoples opinions on.

cc: @airplane1221 @Skyewatch_RBLX

2 Likes

Well, as you stated this I am not in DPS but an DPS employee’s that works there can back me up or make a statement. They can investigate a situation as such but, if they think it’s reasonable for suspension and a demotion they can do as such. In my opinion I do not think they are using the term “guilty” in such of this term. But the person who has been “guilty” as such has 100% to challenge it. I think they should also change up their terms in such a way so, the public does not think of it in such harsh matters.

Example: ( Idk never been investigated or seen the process )
DPS receives the case of whatever of the LEO or Employee
Reviews
Finds them accountable

Better terms DPS could have:
Lawful
Accountable
Convicted.

2 Likes

Yeah, I understand your point. I only used ‘guilty’ due to the fact that DPS actively uses that term in their conclusions on investigations.

3 Likes

I agree that DPS should start to use better terms on their investigation verdicts.

4 Likes

yea we just wont punish or investigate anyone anymore thank you matthew

5 Likes

sucks you cant handle opinions.

2 Likes

you don’t want us finding people guilty. so now everyone is innocent!

3 Likes

sounds good! that wasnt my point but okay!

2 Likes

yea your point is you dont want anyone being found “guilty”

3 Likes

not true at all.

2 Likes

As stated throughout this post, the way DPS uses “guilty” can be confused with the courts deeming someone “guilty” in a court case. DPS’ form of guilty means there will be disciplinary action against the employee in a department because of evidence pointing to misconduct on duty, not receive a charge on their citizen record.

With that, I think it’s definitely within DPS’ jurisdiction to recommend disciplinary action against employees if they are shown to false arrest, improperly search, etc. but it’s the court’s job to prosecute with a fair trial and actually bring charges if that’s necessary.

2 Likes

that’s not how that works. the doj prosecutes someone. it would be the victim of such alleged false arrest to file a civil suit against the LEO.

2 Likes

Right, my point still being that DPS finds the employee “guilty” and only takes action in terms of their employment, while a case through DOJ/courts actually affects the employee’s criminal record.

2 Likes

That’s true if it were a criminal case. Civil cases do not affect any criminal record, as they are not criminal cases.

2 Likes

dps investigators aren’t judges so idk why they would decide a false arrest/citation case… just leave it to the courts for a proper verdict

4 Likes