The Resignation of Ogax and The Fate of The Firestone Supreme Court

With the recent resignation of Ogax, the Supreme Court is now down to two (2) justices. Based on the last poll conducted here, The Firestone Supreme Court Discussion , many people sided with the Supreme Court passing rulings on writs; however, with the court now having limited views (since they lost a person) do you think they should still hear and pass rulings on writs? Please comment below and vote on the following polls.

tl;dr

Do you believe the Supreme Court should pass rulings on writs with two (2) justices?

• Yes
  • No

0 voters

Do you believe the current Governor, NinWin1, should nominate a new justice now or wait until after the election?

• Nominate Now
  • Wait Until After Election

0 voters

Do you believe the Governor should wait for the Chief Court Justice to recommend someone for nomination or nominate without recommendation from the Chief Court Justice but still research and consult with various legal leaders?

• Wait until CCJ Skye_Jones recommends a nominee
  • Nominate without recommendation from the CCJ but still research and consult with various legal leaders

0 voters

3 Likes

PACK THE COURTS

4 Likes

Why would you just completely disregard Skye’s opinion on a Supreme Court nomination.

8 Likes

But in seriousness, three judges, more opinions, more various interpretations.

3 Likes

I’m not saying completely ignoring, she is still a legal leader; however, I am saying we shouldn’t wait until she gets back to us in 3-6 months. Her opinion should still be respected. I am just saying the Governor should plan and do some research on their own instead of having the CCJ be responsible for it.

4 Likes

part of the reason it takes so long is because its not super easy to pick someone to serve on the highest court in the state, especially with the already limited membership of the legal community. it makes sense its going to take some time, ninwin wouldnt do it any quicker. (Not that I could ever see him actually doing as the poll suggests.) just let her do her job lol.

3 Likes

I agree with what ever Skye will say when she’s online.

4 Likes

My point is that the Governor should take if upon themselves to do research instead of just waiting for the Chief Court Justice. Obviously the Governor should still consult with the Chief Court Justice but he shouldn’t just wait around for her to recommend someone. He should take upon that responsibility as it is his duty within the constitution.

3 Likes

like you just said it’s his duty as governor to do that research anyway. (although historically the governor knows literally nothing about the legal community or the judicial process.) the governor should obviously have confidence in whoever he’s nominating or else what’s the point. your phrasing suggests a complete overstep of the CJ’s role in the process which is stupid.

3 Likes

The CCJ should still be consulted. It is just ultimately up to the Governor.

3 Likes

no duh

3 Likes

So I am confused on your POV. Cause I think we agree but at the same time we don’t. :confused:

3 Likes

ah yes, the old memories of the old 2 seat duo of jef and skye

4 Likes

personally I think of float and chris, but ig that works too

3 Likes

I think he is referring to the video

8 Likes

okay that makes way more sense then

2 Likes

My recommendation is not going to change regardless of who the Governor is. To the same regard, I will not support any candidate nominated without my recommendation. I have told this to every Governor who has entered office, and I have faith that the Governor will heed my advice.

I expect to have a recommendation within the next couple of days once I have had the time to consult with my colleague, Justice thekerbal, the Governor, and other legal experts.

Thank you.

7 Likes

Do you think the court will always stay at three members or do you ever plan for it to expand past that?

3 Likes

After Justices Ogax and thekerbal were confirmed, I was hopeful that I might be able to expand the Court to five members. Unfortunately, I did not feel comfortable enough with either of my leading candidates to do so at the time, although I will note that I am comfortable with both of them now and both are on my shortlist to replace Justice Ogax.

It is absolutely the goal to expand the Court to as many members as possible. I do think it could realistically happen later this year, though it would require a lot of things to fall correctly.

Ultimately, however, I think I can safely say that it is not the priority for the Court to expand right now. We’re broken as we are, and we’ve got a lot of fixing and catching up to do first. I will admit that I have largely failed in the latter half of 2020 to do that as a result of my own inactivity, apathy, and procrastination, but I can promise my full effort to the Court in 2021. I will be doing everything in my power to ensure that myself, Justice thekerbal, and our third nominee bring the Court to the greatest standard it has ever been. Once we do that, I will absolutely hope to expand.

8 Likes

When you plan to expand, would you recommend two people at a time so it goes from three to five justices or would you allow for a time of four justices on the court?

3 Likes