Religious oaths in Firestone Academies

Jeff. SCFD. FFA. Space program flight director guy.

Quick question since the FFA Discord is blowing up for the second time today (and you can always blame JJ and Pent for starting stuff).
Firestone’s oaths are, for the most part, religious; a quick search for the POST Oath revealed it ends in “So help me God”, as does FFA’s, and thus can be implied that everyone else’s also does.

Now, not to start jack, but there’s a section of people who refuse to believe in any deity or god if at all. Big shocker. It’s either non-religious people, or atheists.
As such, the debate that’s still raging on the FFA Discord is if we should reduce to an optional only oath system, where the cadet has a choice between saying “so help me god” and not saying it.

Ergo propter hoc quick poll. Votes are public.

• Keep “So help me God” in oaths
  • Make “So help me God” optional for cadets
  • Remove “So help me God” from oaths

0 voters

Go team.

~jef

Edit: Missed a word and more words.
Secondary edit: Also, I’m atheist, for those who were wondering.
Tertiary edit: ayyyy, first actual use of ‘tertiary’; if the thing gets too heated, I’m gonna ask mods to lock, be civil please.

2 Likes

It shouldn’t be an option, it should be cemented in there like everything else.

4 Likes

well, arguably court cases have the choice of a religious or nonreligious oath, so why can’t we?

2 Likes

Well I strongly believe it should be cemented in everything and you must say it, because well it’s true. God will help thee.

3 Likes

Not everyone believes in God, and they have the right not to.

3 Likes

It shouldn’t be an option as then some people are silent while other are saying So help me god which look unprofessional. Futhermore it’s tradition. Still furthermore, it’s there. It’s words. Doesn’t matter whether you believe in one god, another god, many gods, or no gods. They’re just words. You don’t have to believe them, but you must say them.

2 Likes

Then debatably that would render the entire oath void, because you’re disregarding an entire thing on the premise that you don’t believe in a god.

2 Likes

this is a christian state

2 Likes

SAYING THEM DOESN’T MEAN YOU BELIEVE! AND NOBODY NEEDS TO KNOW YOUR RELIGION! SAY THE DAMN OATHS AS IS!

3 Likes

i do not believe god exists

optional

1 Like

yeah i agree with you jeff the rocket man, considering lots of people probably within firestone believe in different things and such, many of them would probably feel weird about saying “so help me god” so thanks for bringing this up

2 Likes

I don’t think that people should be forced to swear by something they don’t believe in. I know that religious people have their rights, but so do atheists/non religious people. While people claim that, “It’s just words” well the bible is just a collection of words. This whole thing is a collection of words, but it still has meaning. (Credit to Jeff for making the point that the Bible is just words)

3 Likes

They’re not just saying the words, they’re swearing by them.

2 Likes

I strongly agree with the fact that religion and state should be sole and separate.

I believe Aronow v. United States is a respectable opinion but I highly disagree with it.

I recommend just leaving it out, as some cadets doing at and some not is confusing and may cause issues.

2 Likes

pretty biased if you ask me, considering he is extremely religious and has very conservative views

2 Likes

Well, he’s not wrong, this is pretty liberal atheist crap.

3 Likes

i’m just sayin’.
well, technically matt is saying

2 Likes

In the Courts we offer a religious or non religious oath.

4 Likes

JJ is a government employee and is representing the government.

He’s blatantly violating BOR § 4.

“[…] There shall be a clear separation of church and state.”

Keeping the ‘so help me God’ at the end is not violating, associating yourself with Christianity is your right, but stating that first responders are based off of God is uhh no.

well i’m not here to debate so bai

2 Likes

you’re a good man charlie brown

2 Likes