POST LEO Quality Poll

Recently, I’ve observed another rise in LEO quality errors. As of late, I’ve seen an increase of reports to DPS and myself relating to LEO behavior.

To help us get an exact idea of the public perception of LEO’s, I ask that the public answer the following polls below and name the problems they’ve observed below, if any.

Do you approve of the quality of LEO’s?

• Yes
  • No

0 voters

Which department do you believe contains the highest amount of incompetent officers?

• SCSO
  • FSP
  • DHS
  • DOC

0 voters

Remember, please list the problems below. Your feedback is needed if you would to see any positive change.

3 Likes

I’ve seen a lot of complications regarding FRP, cuff rushing, and in general the law.

1. Teach your LEOs more about how the actual law works. How the judiciary works, how legislature works, and how a court case works. No, you do not have to teach them every single piece of legislation and the court’s rules of procedure, but I really don’t like seeing an officer ask what testimony is.
  2. Teach them exactly when you can and when you cannot cuff rush and the FRP rules (although the FRP rules are fucking atrocious and aren’t defined properly…)
  3. Literally none of them know what reasonable suspicion is, what probable cause is, what you need to detain, and what you need to ID.
    Catch up: Right now, you need probable cause to get ID (due to the evildustin supreme court case). If the case gets overturned, you will only need RS (as the bill to identification presenting was amended to only require RS). You only need RS to detain someone.
    Reasonable suspicion: not 100% certain but you must still have a valid point for justification (matches description, BOLO, warrant, etc.)
    Probable cause: you either saw it happen in front of you or you have conclusive physical evidence.

Also, teach them what metagaming is and what it is not (officers are allowed to go into the playerlist to search up the description of a suspect if they have the plate of the suspect, this is NOT metagaming like so many officers think it is)

Just educate your people better please.

3 Likes

This is a painful exaggeration. An overwhelming majority can answer questions regarding PC/RS correctly, at least, the POST Cadets can on their exams. It is likely that one LEO out there didn’t fully understand this concept, but it is absurd for you to say “literally none of them” understand what this is.

We’ve implemented a tier about this stuff recently and will addon to it if needed.

I highly agree with this statement and will be working on adding it into our current curriculum.

4 Likes

I have to admit, I think the poll is unfair.

FSP, who has a really high percentage really fullfills their job and the POST training is good for that.
They have a lot of active police officers with basic training who perform traffic stops, respond to calls and patrol, while DHS for example picks the best out of a huge number of applicants, who if they are good might get picked into specialized agencies with a lot of procedures like SS (which can’t really be compared to what SCSO FSP and DOC do) But it also includes the officially best combat unit in the state so…

5 Likes

The information is used to alert us and the department heads on the department that needs the most focus when we decide to take action regarding LEO quality.

This isn’t supposed to shame a department.

also, I would post this poll to the firestone discord, but discord died so

2 Likes

LEOs should know the entire BOR, and it’s recently painfully obvious they don’t know much to any of it; an interesting influx of officers have been sued lately for BOR violations, and are paying the price. I’m not saying it isn’t their fault for not taking the five to ten minutes to read the BOR, but POST should teach it to cover everyone’s bases.

6 Likes

FSP needs a full reboot

3 Likes

I am honestly thinking of resigning from FSP, and moving to a non-LEO department. It’s time for a change.

7 Likes

With the recent events. Of course people would choose FSP

5 Likes

In my person opinion,

I feel like all LEO departments could be worked on a little bit. Some departments more than others, some less. The goal of us Law Enforcement Officers is to defend the Oath with took back at our POST graduation. We need to continue to uphold that oath, and continue doing a good job at what we do.

3 Likes

I know right, this probably isn’t the best time to post a poll regarding this seeing how FSP is receiving a new superintendent in a couple days who plans to change the entire structure as well as preform reforms. Of course people are going to pick FSP right now because of the recent events.

3 Likes

From personal experience, I have found it to be more abundant that officers do not know the law, as they very well should. I always hate myself for complaining and not having a solution, but that’s exactly what I find myself giving.

3 Likes

This poll is a good example of the lack of trust many members of the public have in FSP.

The next superintendent should use this as motivation to solve that problem.

3 Likes

LEO’s off duty are just toxic. One officer pointed a gun at my paramedic and I while we were on a call out at CD. Nothing was done. I think FSP holds the most incompetent officers. Don’t get me wrong, most are good. There are around 5-10 that are just awful though.

2 Likes

As said by others, teach the law. As an attorney, in the past week there has been two cases regarding failure to state charges, both of which individuals claim to have not been taught that they are required to by the Bill of Rights (section 15) @MaximusGXL

2 Likes

If I am confirmed, I will address the issues raised by the public about FSP. And will do my absolute best to repair the tarnished relationship between FSP and the public. If you have any suggestions on how I can do so (if I’m confirmed), do DM me on Discord.

6 Likes

I will personally take the time to teach the BOR to LEOs it’s this bad. Not joking. This is bad. @MaximusGXL @Timshep07

4 Likes

I just think POST should be hard af, simple enough make tests harder and teach them more situational stuff instead of fake traffic stops of HRS (Sometimes) compared to the actual field it’s different. At least from my POST experience.

3 Likes

Well bring that up with the POST director, I am sure he is willingly to here a lot of suggestions to make POST a sharpened and well fit group.

2 Likes

DOC for the win! :smiley:

3 Likes