My thoughts on people running for congress as their first government position

Throughout my career within this state I have seen quite the many things. Some acceptable, some not. One of these things that makes the unacceptable list is people who decide it’s a good idea to run for congress having no experience, and no clue what they are doing in any form or fashion. With this being said, I don’t have anything against people running and trying to learn, and my goal is not to try and take away from them. I am simply speaking in a fashion of competency. The Firestone Legislative Branch is key in the works of legal variations. Having good, competent congressmen is essential to the functionality of the branch. Having congressmen who know what they are doing allows for significant beneficial bills to be written and passed within a short period of time. Having people in office who are uneducated hinders this law making process extremely.

Simply put, get a county government position to understand the working of how legislature works. Get a feel for the work environment and learn how to write bills and/or any professional document. Now, having said this, I do believe in the concept of doing your research and learning before doing something. If you go to watch and study congressional meetings for a term, or go on youtube and look up how the functionality of the chambers work, all credit to you. Do what you have to do to get informed, but please for the love, do not go into congress simply to have a nice little title without having the slightest clue of what you are doing.

Now one would expect if a candidate is not fit for such a high office as a congressman, people wouldn’t elect them into office. Yet somehow I have seen several people who are unfit make their way into a position of such power, and this is what brought this issue to my attention. The citizens have every full blown right to elect who they see fit, and putting everything aside, that must be what is respected. Simply put: know what you are doing if you are willing to take the chance to hold such a high stature of office.

9 Likes

Sorry for the little rant, I just had to vent.

1 Like

you’re not wrong at all. look at this candidate, last County Executive election he tried to run for CE, with no experience in ANYTHING, not even smaller departments such as DPW or DOT, or even businesses… When suggested he should join the County Government on smaller-levels to gain political experience, he shrugs it off and pretends that it wasn’t said.

A bill to deem cuff-rushing illegal? a thing that is a problem moderation wise?

A bill to deem leaders with no experience illegal? How would this work? this would mean people like Bear, Joshernaut, Ash, & every single other former Governor wouldn’t have been able to run due to not being previous governors, makes 0 sense.

A bill to make FRP a bannable offense? FRP is a moderation-enforced and isn’t enforced by the government, the FRP guidelines are here specifying what is FRP and what is not

I don’t blame you for ranting on this topic, nobody seems to understand what positions such as Senators and Reps even do, just stating they’ll make a bunch of “good bills” to protect the public, in which doesn’t work out,

5 Likes

i was redwood mayor for a month

4 Likes

you also somehow managed to stay in DHS for longer then 12 hours which was longer then I ever expected, you’d have more experience for being in DPW/DOT then half of the new people running.

4 Likes

good job scrib

1 Like

I think there are 2 kinds of people in congress that we all hate: those who are inactive or don’t give a shit, and the people who think they can write bills, propose them, yet their bills are shit.

First one you can’t do nothing about, they’re the kids who usually win the popularity contest. Now I think all congressmen have been the second guy before, we’ve all had shit bills. But at least run it through the smart people and get feedback before you propose, that’s like the golden rule, and what I would advise any new congressmen to do.

This is why I’ve been wanting a standerized competency test for public office. It ensures that the criterias are met, that they have a basic understanding of how the laws work, the constitution, etc. I’ve written many unconstitutional and shitty stuff before, but like if you don’t care about your shit then why run. There are people in congress right now who are just popular kids who are just doing it for more popularity and fame.

I absolutely have no problem for people running for congress as newcomers. As long as they are willing to learn and fail, and have a basic understanding of how our government, laws, and structure work.

4 Likes

I agree, but also realize this goes hand in hand with our civic duty to elect someone correct for the position. Experience or not. I mean, look at most of the White House executive branch rn irl.

4 Likes

finally someone spoke out with a forum post

2 Likes

i don’t really mind as long as they know what they’re doing, and like ellont said, learn to fail and have your written bills run through the smarter people before you propose.

1 Like

although they can start in a much lower-part of the government such as county government instead of running for senate/reps straight away, gives them a bit more credibility, trust and to see how they’d manage in the county-government environment

2 Likes

I’ve been saying this on all the forums that state its their first time in politics.

I know that i’m sort of hardcore gate keeping rn with Senate and House but like, if you have no experience in Politics within this state, please try to get some elsewhere. Senate and House are not starting points

5 Likes

yes, get experience in county-level positions or even in cities such as redwood, prominence, etc. where you could be a mayor as a starting point.

2 Likes

Executive branch officials aren’t elected beside POTUS and VPOTUS. Yet I agree it is our civil duty to elect someone CORRECT for the position. Correct meaning they are able to actually do their job.

1 Like

i kinda disagree with the “first join the county government” one
because its literally useless

if i for some reason wanted to run for congress id jump straight into representatives probably, not county

1 Like

lol like voting matters
getting elected is easier than angering leftists
write a speech
random people vote for you without reading
job done

6 Likes

Yeah, as I said in the statements following, I have nothing against people going straight to congress GIVEN that they know what they are doing. County Gov is just a way I would suggest for new people to get experience.

1 Like

to see if they’re even capable of staying somewhat active, and to do what they’ve promised

1 Like

idk about you guys but, sometimes the only time i find out an individual was in congress was when they announce in the Firestone discord “I resign from my position in congress” and i’m like “who even are you?”

4 Likes

im in love with you philip no cap

3 Likes