Major Issue with Debt

Good morning, I have noticed a predominant issue in V2. It is incredibly challenging to get out of debt, to the extent that I think it needs to be changed.

Right now, as a law enforcement officer, if I were to go and cite a new player the maximum (1k) they’d probably go into debt to like -900 dollars.

At 4 dollars per 2 minutes, that is something like 7-8 hours of grinding money (or at 8 dollars per 2 minutes, half that, which is still crazy).

That is 7-8 hours of no gas money, no money to buy ATM cards, and no way to make more money except waiting or hoping someone donates to you.

I propose this: when someone is cited, take money out of their wallet and then their bank. If their balance hits zero, then arrest them for the number of seconds equal to the remaining debt.

Ex. if you give someone a 1,000 dollar citation, they have 200 dollar in their wallet and 300 in their bank, their wallet and bank would first be emptied and then they would get arrested for 500 seconds.

5 Likes

what happens if they already had this happen once and now have 1000 seconds in prison or 900 seconds etc but yes

2 Likes

That would equal 8 Minutes in prison for not having 500 bucks.

That makes no sense, it actually hurts crims more because you’d make them not want to join FS anymore purely because they were arrested for having debt in the first place.

What you really should be offering is this, criminals who’ve amassed debt can gain a better return on investment from crimes. This would also have to permit players to basically receive an IOU from the dealer who might just go “I know it’s rough, this is on the house” for any tools required for a heist while in debt. The return should be levelled (shouldn’t receive 1 Million FSD for being 100 in debt from an ATM robbert), say a return of 1.5x - 2x from the original ATM payout, this gives them a chance to clear debt and get back into crime and growing the playerbase.

Having a system that permits an easy way out and helps support the other side of FS would be leagues better than punishing them with waiting in a prison for 8 minutes just to be cited, and then arrested again for no reason. On that subject, the concept of forcing crims into prison for being in debt would be more a legislative idea rather than development.

4 Likes

just like irl then hahahaha

5 Likes

The issue then is how to prevent players from intentionally going into debt to get better priced items and higher pay outs.

3 Likes

Simple, you get that higher payout once, it gets you simply out of debt. After that you’re on your own for progression, apologies if that wasn’t made clear.

How it would progress:
Player gets into debt → One time ability to get free tools for a select robbery type → payout is 1.5x original (or otherwise balanced) → Player is now out of debt and subjected to same issues at everyone else

A simple check of player balance before interacting with dealer NPCs should suffice and then per the robbery system adding in the same check to ensure they can get the 1.5x payout. This would also eliminate anyone being able to get the tools then waiting to accrue more FSD by simply staying still and getting a 1.5x payout as the check would have to happen as the player interacts with the object. Thus if they got a net positive amount then they’d receive the original payout as expected.

3 Likes

Does this already happen? Never been cited.

A traffic infraction such as headlights isn’t worthy enough for prison. You mentioned new players in this and I feel as if doing this would just make the new players lose interest in the game

I personally say that there could be some system where as you earn the money, you can slowly pay it off or get a warrant of some sort?

2 Likes

Does this already happen? Never been cited.

It takes it directly out of the wallet right now.

A traffic infraction such as headlights isn’t worthy enough for prison. You mentioned new players in this and I feel as if doing this would just make the new players lose interest in the game

Yeah, it was just an idea. I think that 500 seconds in jail is better than having to wait HOURS to get out of debt. I like some of the ideas presented by other people, but some of them are quite easy to abuse.

Ultimately I am just trying to bring the issue to people’s attention so that we start thinking of solutions because how it is right now is insane.

2 Likes

Player gets into debt → One time ability to get free tools for a select robbery type → payout is 1.5x original (or otherwise balanced) → Player is now out of debt and subjected to same issues at everyone else

The only problem with this is that they could use this to stockpile dirty money in storage.

2 Likes

I mean it’s not hard as long as you know what you’re doing
Realisation as typing: most people are idiots so yes, it can be

1 Like

If their balance hits zero, then arrest them for the number of seconds equal to the remaining debt.

debtors prison much?

2 Likes

Or you know, there could be a system in place where if you get a ticket, instead of directly taking the cash from you you would have 30 irl minutes to pay the sum in full or face time in prison

2 Likes

Hang on, just to make sure I get this right… we’re trying to criminalise debt now?!

3 Likes

2 Likes

the americans may be in trouble then

3 Likes