Firestone Constitutional Crisis

this is why ur the best babe

4 Likes

The PO’s are the ones writing these constitutional changes as well for the most part. This problem didn’t exist less then a month ago. Anyone can see that the people on the trello for the new constitution where the amendment to allow voting with no quorum devised. Float, Hec, Zhukov, Skye, Ninwin, and a few others are on there.

Regardless of who you want to blame the ability for legislation to pass with a single vote should’ve been accounted for. All it took was a single line or two in the amendment saying that a certain number of votes must be had before a vote can be counted. No one did that. Frankly it should be the entire chamber unless someone is on LOA

4 Likes

You need to remember this is a game and in a lot of scenarios, it is impossible to get everyone into a game (especially at the end of a term) so there has to be some type of alternative venue aside from in-game sessions.

This instance has reflected more on the Senate as a whole and their willingness to participate rather than any sort of structural problem.

You keep mentioning quorum as well, how do you set a quorum on Discord or Trello? It is constitutionally mandated that a minimum of 24 hours is given for all members to vote and as previously discussed, no amount of tags can fix laziness or the unwillingness to participate.

5 Likes

discord sessions would be cool
iirc the senate tried it once, not too sure how it went

4 Likes

IT SHOULD, but as you know mr innovative half of congress frankly doesnt give a shit about their job, which is something that SEVERLY demotivated me last term and kinda made me quit.

its hard to work hard when people around u just dont care, and doing the vote unless LOA rule would basically make it so that laws never pass

5 Likes

discord sessions ftw

5 Likes

We’re going to completely fundamentally disagree here. You are trying to argue there’s no problem at all besides the activity of the senate. You’re going to deny that there’s a problem when a PO Could host a trello voting “session” get a single vote and change the constitution. The reality is that it’s a fact when sessions were hosted more then half of the chambers show up. The attendance should reflect that pretty clearly, this instance has not only reflected on the Senate, but reflected that you don’t think there’s a problem with the system at hand.

“This is a game” the absolute biggest cop out i’ve ever heard. “This is a game” then keep the voting in game and stop trying to make this entire section of the job paperwork with no interaction with other people.

NO MOTIONS, NO REGULATIONS, LITTLE TO NOT VOTES, NO QUORUM.

Quorum in this state is clearly whatever you want it to be, as now you have no quorum at all and a means to bypass almost all voting regulations that have ever been set, but there’s no problem. Something as small as a member requirement on votes is enough to stop this problem, but instead we’ll pretend there’s no problem.

as gordon ramsey would say, lets wake the fuck up.

4 Likes

i don’t think he actually ever said that line

4 Likes

commities would work if we had more congresspoeple

4 Likes

they would work if we had DEDICATED and CARING congresspeople

u can have committees that are more versatile than irl, i’ve suggested committees before tthat do stuff and could work but nooo

committees would be epic trust me

5 Likes

whats ur idea for committies in a small firestone congress?

im interested committees = cool

4 Likes

i will tell a bit later, as i need to go now but yes committees epic

5 Likes

Committees used to work fine, not sure why people hate them so much. I think it all started back in the CGOC when that one gentleman wasn’t exactly using it correctly.

4 Likes

because we had 4-5 congressmen PUBLICALLY say they are shit and turned public opinion against them; essentially committees became politics and politics and public opinion said if u hate committees u get ++++points so congressmen and women yeeted them

anyways gtg love u all take care and wear a mask

4 Likes

None of those people are even in congress anymore, and a large chunk of them assisted in the CGOC operating the way it did, for example skye, that other guy who’s name i cant remember, and so fourth. The real heat for committees came with CGOC for sure.

5 Likes

The activity is a central part of the problem. During the House voting, the entire chamber voted on both recent Amendments within the time allocated. It is down to the presiding officer to ensure everyone has voted within the 24 hours, motions are announced, and all that.

One must also remember at the end of a term, activity completely dies and in-game sessions barely happen due to apathy. It is literally a game and some people, unfortunately, run for these game roles and don’t put in the effort they are supposed to.

“but instead we’ll pretend there’s no problem.” like I said earlier, it is a problem but it isn’t one that at best, can be managed by the presiding officer or at worse, with an amendment establishing a minimum vote count.

5 Likes

I don’t think you need committees to do the job of what every congressional official should be doing. Our laws aren’t that complicated and are generally simplistic, it shouldn’t take too long to do a review of it. The issue is that there is a lack of effort being put into actually reviewing legislation.

4 Likes

It’s a problem that shouldn’t exist, it’s taking far to much for you to admit this is even a problem. I understand you wrote most of this stuff personally and I appreciate it. But as long as you think it’s acceptable to have the possibility of things passing with a single vote we’re not going to agree. You lot should’ve thought about this before passing this awful amendment.

Right now if 2 PO’s got together, with a single voter from each chamber they could pass the entire new constitution uncontested. There’s no regulation at all for trello, none. No required area in which you have to post, no required announcements, no required number of votes, no required group discussion, no official group discussion, no official end dates, no official motions, I’m not going to debate why this is bad with you further, I’ve explained pretty clearly what the problems here are. You’re choosing to ignore them, that’s your prerogative. The entire argument YOU made for trello voting is that it allows everyone to vote because “THIS IS A GAME AND WE CANT GET EVERYONE TOGETHER IN GAME BUT WE CAN ON TRELLO!” well the system is completely fucked if you’re getting less votes on trello then you were in game.

5 Likes

I have literally said it is a problem but you have conveniently decided to ignore my previous points. Here is another point I did forget to mention, Trello votes are going to be mandated in the Standing Rules to ensure things like this do not happen.

And yes the system is fucked, Firestone politics an uphill struggle because no one gives a shit anymore.

“awful amendment” - which part, by the way, this specific part? because as previously mentioned, the constitution has always allowed for this sort of thing to happen but the problem has only decided to manifest itself now

5 Likes

it came before but yeah ur right overall

4 Likes