What should FFA be under?
  • The Governor (like POST)
  • The Department of Health
  • The County (like SCSO/SCFD)
  • SCFD itself
  • A board for certifications
  • Other

0 voters

FFA has been ran twice to the senate and failed both times because senators can’t agree on who FFA should be under

4 Likes

Both POST and FFA need to be under either a universal board for emergency service qualifications or independent boards for their relevant fields. This means that those boards create the guidelines, and curriculum for those academies to teach, the academies can add or modify lesson structures but the curriculum must be taught in full.

This then means that the academies will either only host the training sessions for each qualification and the Board will deliver the independent examination to assess each individual. Thus no bias is given in any shape or form through the academies. This also means the boards can assess how well each academy teaches the required curriculum, and can audit them to ensure they follow it.

Atop this, the position of academy director should not be cabinet, but rather the head(s) of the board(s), or none at all.

9 Likes

The contentious issue is who decides who goes on the board. If it’s the LE or medical department heads, the Governor could (in theory) just tell them to vote in a certain way, thereby defeating the point of having them under a board. of course no governor would ever be dumb enough to do something like that, but it’s something that might happen

4 Likes

other than the current ffa administration and the fire chief, i see no one fit to serve on a board which controls the fire certifications. All of the fire certifications are discussed among the ffa director, deputy director, CTO captainclyde, fire chief and other staff who wish to input, which in itself is already a “board” if you wish. Making us an external firefighting board would, in my eyes, really hurt the curriculum since, like I mentioned, I see no one else really fit to determine our curriculum.

And as for medical, well that’s already under a board. DOH supervisory board handles all the medical curriculum, and to be fair the Firestone Fire Academy does slightly more medical than firefighting.

8 Likes

There’s already a medical oversight committee also known as the supervisory board which the FFA Directors are already on.

8 Likes

there is already a supervisory board for EMS certs under DOH which sets guidelines and includes members from every EMS agency. as for FF certs, we have an open line of communication with SCFD and channels specifically made for curriculum improvement. there have been 0 issues in regards to this, please don’t act like there is.

also, being cabinet is the only way fire/ems has representation on the state level. we’ve been functioning just fine and dandy at the cabinet level for like a year now, no need to change that now.

9 Likes

Ok so… “not fit”… if your referencing a board made up of 100% FFs then sure… maybe but there is an army of support personnel to “back up” the FFs…

What I mean by this is… the board should be composed of political staff, legal advisors, medical personnel, FFs, SCFD HICOM, etc…

just my two cents on it… you guys may disagree but thats me…

6 Likes

I do concur with most of what you have said… it could be argued that you guys get enough representation via the DOH or DPS… or you even that you would still get such representation at the county level…

you probably disagree with me on thus but it seems to be a thing of how much does the governor listen vs. where the dept is placed…

placement the county level doesn’t devalue what you do its just a different way of looking at things

4 Likes

chris… there is literally no reason to put ffa under the county. the only reason presented is that “we only serve scfd” which has been proven false multiple times.

take it from someone who’s been cabinet for a year, this isn’t true. it’s not DOH nor DPS’s responsibility to represent any other department.

that just doesn’t make any sense. a cabinet department is obviously going to have more rep than a county department at the state level

6 Likes

we dont need politics interfering with our ability to do our jobs, theres absolutely no place for politics in a workplace where 99% of the work is life or death for us or others

what legal intricacies other than medical malpractice would there be, which is already overseen and enforced by DOH/SCFD HICOMM/FFA

so, the SCFD chief/deputy chief, the FFA director/deputy director, the DOH secretary/deputy secretary and the SCFD chief paramedic… where 3 of those listed are cabinet positions already… because those are the ONLY individuals that i trust are competent enough to make up a board of which you have described for FF/EMS oversight (bear in mind every single person listed is on the DOH supervisory board with the exception of the SCFD deputy chief)

6 Likes

a board or county, i’ll do both

4 Likes

can you provide reasoning why? when i asked you your answer was that you were the CE

4 Likes

we, the stapleton county government, established by charter and recognized by the state, want nothing to do with the firestone fire academy, we do not want to oversee it, we do not want it under the purview of us, our council or scfd.

we, the stapleton county fire department, established by law and recognized by both the county and the state, want nothing to do with the firestone fire academy, we do not want to oversee it, we do not want it under the purview of us, our command or our training division.

10 Likes

suprema wants to compromise

yes, i want to come to a simple compromise of bringing all ideas into possibly one.

yes obviously county couldn’t work, but there’s already a list of people on a “council” or a board under the EB, and etc.

but i am not sitting here saying “can we all compromise on one idea.”

i literally support ffa being a state academy, but i literally nay’d because it wasn’t going to pass nonetheless, no matter what. and if i “aye’d” i would’ve been the only singular aye and it still wouldn’t have passed. nor am i going to abstain either with cool it is just pointless for myself to put an aye or abstain on there.

ffa has support of being a state academy.

/s/ suprema

5 Likes

and you wouldve been the hero in the situation if you did it, going against everyone else to show that you had the interest of the people in mind, but you said “nah it wont pass anyways, why does it matter if i make it look like i care.” when i was senator, i voted the way i felt appropriate, even when the rest of the chamber was against me, and i dont care that i got outvoted, i still put my vote in how the people expressed their opinions to me.

you wouldnt have looked so spineless if you did

thank you.

7 Likes

everyone in the chambers know that i support ffa being a state academy, as well as many others.

i was just going to abstain w/ coolpilot, i switched from an aye to an abstain, to a nay.

i vote the way i feel appropriate as well but, in the cases where everyone just votes nay, its better off just to nay it as well.

i cannot speak for other senators but i know the hard fact of that, being drilled in chambers like how coolpilot was, i sincerely felt bad for him.

3 Likes

why abstain if you support the bill?

it’s not ‘better off’ to nay it because it alters your track record and can create a false idea about who in the senate really does or does not support a bill.  this is a great example of why we should just remove absenations; just do your job and vote your opinion, the house seems to be able to do it fine, so why not the senate.

4 Likes

because i myself was already working on some sort of legislation in which i would’ve put on the docket yesterday but a few other individuals collaborated on a legislation already in effects ffa’s establishment and other things about them that i like more than it just being defined as a group.

which i like a lot more,

so i was going to vote abstain to vote aye on a piece of legislation that describes ffa more than a “roblox group.”

4 Likes

It’s time for all of this nonsense to end. For the past 11 days we’ve been battling this out. I say once again and like many others, IF SOMETHING IS WORKING COMPLETELY AND PERFECTLY FINE WITHOUT INTERVENTION, WHY ARE YOU TRYING TO CHANGE IT? It’s blatant incompetence and irresponsibility, and there are countless more laws and bills that can be signed in that will really have an impact on our state as a whole.

6 Likes

FFA doesn’t just serve the SCFD. FFA is statewide, so anybody who is looking for a medical certification through FFA can take it. Much like POST, where you can have a choice on where you go, FFA does the same with its academy. Your statement is not very true, and we can back up the fact that not all FFA graduates apply into the SCFD. Some apply for a medical certification so they can help out on our scenes. I don’t see this being an issue, no?

5 Likes