Do the traffic lights feel slow for anyone else?

Does anyone else feel the traffic lights go by slower/faster than usual? I find myself hitting a lot of red lights and also the times being really slower than usual. That being longer on red and shorter on green

Some people mentioned it could just be that you’re sitting there and it feels long, but I drive to work daily and the lights on my way to work have never lasted more than 30 seconds - 1 Minute for me IRL

Anyways let me know your opinions lol

8 Likes

please speed up the timer on the lights!

3 Likes

It’s far too slow, especially for Firestone where there are never more than three people at a traffic light. It should be 1/3 of the time it is now.

3 Likes

lights are WAY too slow, i think them speeding a little up would be beneficial.

1 Like

The traffic lights near ro-greens are the worst, they take longer then my dad going out to get milk, theres times where it’ll get so bad that if an LEO is near me they just straight up tell me to just run the red cause it won’t change.

4 Likes

Yeah, I got to agree. It’s even worse when you have a series of lights which aren’t really in sync, like the ones near DOT in RW. I honestly just take backroads and such just to avoid having to wait at lights sometimes. Rather stop for a few seconds at a stop and having to drive 40 than waiting at the endless lights.

1 Like

Yeah, I did a thread before about this. If you guys suggest specific places where the lights need to be sped up it will probably get done. Last time they said that when it detected vehicles and stuff it was too laggy

1 Like

i agree, speed em up!

1 Like

A properly set-up 4-directional traffic light intersection with protected turns has a cycle duration of approximately 84 seconds (1 minute 24 seconds) which is relatively long, especially if you consider the extreme low traffic densities in v2 which make the majority – if not all – intersections completely unsuitable for traffic lights.

What is even worse is when, by development fault, there is an ‘empty set’ which leads to an all-red interval of 15 seconds + 6 seconds clearance. This is the case for a lot of intersections and is definitely not intentional. Having to wait 21 seconds while all traffic lights are on red is ridiculous and there’s even some intersections where conflicting traffic both get green lights at the same time… These problems are all super easy to fix, even I know how to use the plugin and trust me I am far from a ‘programmer.’

As to reducing the time for intersections which are set-up properly, there’s not much the developers can do as they use a freeware plugin (there is no ‘setting’ to reduce times! They can of course change it manually in the scripts, but I doubt they would bother…). However, reducing the number of directions - if possible - and reducing the amount of protected turns can reduce signal times according to this table:
(referring to the technical ‘number of directions’ according to the plugin)

You can easily tweak around with traffic lights and fix empty sets + unnecessary 20-second main signal phases by changing the technical number of directions and simply setting up the traffic lights in each direction properly.

For example, the traffic light directly at CD

It has a usual cycle duration of 89 seconds which is surprising as it has less traffic lights than the reference I made above of 84 seconds. By not even changing a single traffic light at the CD intersection, you can easily reduce that cycle duration to 45 seconds, which nearly HALVES the duration without changing a single thing. In this case, an empty set wastes 21 seconds at the intersection and the 20-second main green phases can simply be reduced to 10 seconds, which is in some ways a sacrifice but does make the total waiting time a lot less.

NOTE: I did see that the traffic lights appeared to act ‘slow’ in the recent servers, likely due to DDOSing or the server just being old. That’s definitely not an update and just a glitch… and I haven’t seen it before so perhaps that is what you are referring to (like yellow phases of 9 seconds?)

6 Likes

There is an internal configuration for the timings

This is not visible in the plugin.

I haven’t considered the logistics but I imagine it might be possible.

If this were the only option, it wouldn’t be worth it. There are 3 scripts for each set of lights, averaging to about 816 lines of code per set of lights. Off the top of my head, there’s about 50 set of lights throughout the game. This means about 41,616 lines of code in total.

3 Likes

Now here me out,
modules.

it would solve all of this by just having a serversided lightcontroller tied with settings and specific light-related functions in the modulescript of each light, plus it’d perform better on machines

2 Likes

Yes, but that requires reconfiguring for every traffic light and probably doesn’t cope well with the plugin if you want to change settings afterwards

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.